Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6720s
Linux

My old 6720s has a Core 2 Duo T5470 processor. According to specifications, the max upgrade would be, if I well remember, a T7300 (or T7700?). But I would like better a T9300 (6M cache, 800 MHz FSB, 2.5GHz, Socket P). 

Is there any reason this wouldn't work properly? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 1 of the service manual, the T9300 is supported, so it should work just fine.

c01293339 (hp.com)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to chapter 1 of the service manual, the T9300 is supported, so it should work just fine.

c01293339 (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, that's great. I've bought a big HD monitor and I've noticed that the laptop has become much slower. So I thought it's because the old T5470 can barely handle1080x1920 pixels instead of 800x1280.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have not installed a 2.5" SSD, I highly recommend that upgrade.

While the official HP specs indicate that 2 x 2 GB of memory is the max, that chipset supports 2 x 4 GB of memory if you can find some cheap enough.  New it is very expensive.

I have the HP 6910p with the same chipset as the 6720s and it happily runs 2 x 4 GB of memory just fine.

HP Recommended

I couldn't have imagined 8 GB on this motherboard. I already bought a caddy adapter for a SATA SSD, but more than 4G RAM is probably very good too.

HP Recommended

If you can find some used but tested and working DDR2-5300 or 6400 4 GB memory chips, it may be worth giving them a shot.

HP Recommended

Thanks. What if I tried just one 4GB module next to one of the old 2GB? This would make 6, but asymmetrical.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that would work but the memory would only run in single channel mode because you need matching capacity memory in order to run in dual channel mode.

But moving up to 6 GB to test it out and make sure it worked would be a good idea.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.