Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1365sl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody, I'd like to upgrade the CPU (B960) of my HP Pavilion g6-1365sl.

Searching on the web, i've found different Maintenance and Service Guide for g6, as report below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03094322 (this is the first from the HP website)

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02770249.pdf (from google on HP.com)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03233548.pdf (as above)

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593041.pdf (as above)

Now my question is...which is the correct one?...

I know the second (c02770249) doesn't report my CPU so probably is to exclude it, but the others?...

The editions don't match each other...I'm confused...what is the difference?...

I assume that the correct edition is the c03094322 (the first one) just because the touch pad is centrally unlike the other two (and because is that provided by the site)...so...the maximum installable CPU is Intel® Core™ i7-2640M???

It's correct?...what is the difference between these editions?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You actually have the best motherboard in the series and it will handle 2d gen Intel Core CPUs, "Sandy Bridge", with bridge alive chip off i.e. switchable graphics. Up to i7-2640M. Your heatsink is the same as used on the i7 models so it is just a matter of removing the processor, replacing it with the better one you want, locking it down, applying thermal compound and putting everything back together. OK slight oversimplification. 

See pages 79-85.

Your Manual

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

The first one listed  - c03094322 - comes from the HP site and the support page for the model listed.  I would say that is the correct one.  That one also lists the CPU's supported by that model.  It is assumed by that listing would indicated that the CPU can be changed, but only by experiment will you be sure.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

What do you mean with "by experiment"?...buy an Intel® Core™ i7-2640M costs about 210.00 USD...

I'd like to be sure before purchase it...

HP Recommended

Well, I do not see that one on the list.  If you intend to do any CPU change, I would first try my skills in getting to the CPU and removing the one that is installed. ( without danage) and then reinstall it.  If that is completed without incident, then perhaps buy a CPU from the list.

This one is the only i7 that I see on the list. Intel Core i7-2620M

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

...from c03094322....

...page 9...Product description...the first Processor on the list...Intel® Core™ i7-2640M....

...page 31...Computer major components...Spare part number...666173-001...

...page 46...Sequential part number listing...repeated...

Why don't you see it on the list...?...

thanks you for your effort

HP Recommended

Probably because I was looking at a different page.  Page 91 (actually numbered 83) starts with a different i7.  It would seem there are a multitude of motherboards that fit in that case, each accepting different CPU's.

First, would be to verify the motherboard actually installed in the unit under consideration.  Have you done that step?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

From CPU z...

Manufactuer:   Hewlett Packard

Model:                1670  - 09.4C

Chipset:              Intel - Sandy Bridge Rev. 09

Southbridge:    Intel - HM65 Rev. 05

...neither specification found on the web nor on the manual...

HP Recommended

What I actually meant was to physically see the cat# and/or part# on the motherboard.  While you are looking, verify that the CPU is in a socket and the heat sink will come off,IMHO.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I've found the part number 650199-001 on the MB...as for manual it indicates System board:

Intel HM65 6470 discrete, 1 GB BACO, computer models...and now?...

HP Recommended

You actually have the best motherboard in the series and it will handle 2d gen Intel Core CPUs, "Sandy Bridge", with bridge alive chip off i.e. switchable graphics. Up to i7-2640M. Your heatsink is the same as used on the i7 models so it is just a matter of removing the processor, replacing it with the better one you want, locking it down, applying thermal compound and putting everything back together. OK slight oversimplification. 

See pages 79-85.

Your Manual

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.