Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
dv6 6199EE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hey, wanted to know the processor/CPU upgrade path for my machine. 

HP DV6 6199EE  , i7 2630QM ..

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

The supported Intel processors can be found in chapter 1 on page 2.

IMHO, since you already have an i7 quad core processor installed, it probably wouldn't be worth the time, expense and trouble to upgrade to the Intel Core i7-2820QM.

You'd be better off maxing out the memory to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) or replacing the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

The supported Intel processors can be found in chapter 1 on page 2.

IMHO, since you already have an i7 quad core processor installed, it probably wouldn't be worth the time, expense and trouble to upgrade to the Intel Core i7-2820QM.

You'd be better off maxing out the memory to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) or replacing the mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

HP Recommended

yes, makes sense. Thank you so much . no point in the CPU upgrade. 

was just wondering , even with an SSD , 12 GB RAM my system boots slowly. takes around 1.50 minutes. 

it still has the HDD in a caddy bay  in the DVD place, but SSD as primary disk.

When the RAM was 8 GB , it used to boot up at 1:20 minutes.

TIA

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you already have a SSD, that boot up time is awful slow.

It shouldn't take the notebook more than 30 seconds to boot up with a SSD installed.

The only thing I can say is that 12 GB of memory is running in the lower performing single channel mode.

You need to have matching capacities of memory (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB) for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode.

But I can't guarantee that is what is adding the extra boot time to the PC.

Have you tried removing the DVD caddy and see how fast it boots up without it?

HP Recommended

ah yes,  will give it a try. never thought of that. What bothers me is that i partitioned my SSD as C and D. Will that add up to the boot lag?

I was expecting the i7 to perform better even with the HDD alone. ( more than 2 minutes it took fr the boot up)

HP Recommended

It's really hard to say what could be the cause.

I just know something is not right.

I have much older and weaker processor notebooks than yours with SATA II drive controllers and SSD's and they all boot up fast as can be.

Did you check the drive controller speed for your notebook's hard drive?

It should be SATA 6.0 with an Intel series 6 chipset, but that was the first chipset that supported SATA 6.0, and the chipset still had SATA 3.0 drive controllers which sometimes HP for whatever reason, configured the motherboards to boot from a SATA 3.0 controller.

Run the free utility that i zipped up and attached below that will show you the drive speed and the drive controller speed.

Close out of the summary window.

On the left side of the report, click to expand the Drives section.

Click to expand the (S)ATAATAPI drives section.

Click on your model SSD listed there.

On the right side of the report window the first report will show the drive speed and the drive controller speed.

You want to be seeing this:

Drive Controller: Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

If you are, you can rule the drive controller speed out as a problem.

HP Recommended

hey hi.. finally after a lot of reseach just found of my laptop is in par with industry standards and now the boot time is 20 secs.

wow...!!! here's what i did

1. go to registry , search enableULPS , and change value to 0 exit
2. start search power and sleep setting (scroll down) > additional power settting > choose what power button do > disable Turn fast startup ON button  (this is confusing, when i disabled it the speed increased)

restart the laptop ..

Boot speed increased enromously to 20 secs.

2 minutes to 20 secs in 5 minutes ..

HP Recommended

Now that's more like it!

The fast startup thing causes problems on a lot of notebooks.

I always turn it off but I didn't know it slowed things down.

I turn it off because when it it enabled, the battery drains faster because the notebook isn't really off.

It is in more of a hibernation mode, which means it uses some battery power to save the current status it is in.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.