Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Compaq G6-2219nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to breath some new life into an old laptop of mine.

It's an HP Laptop, Compaq G6-2219nr

Product # c2n65ua#aba

I've upgraded the memory already, and purchased an SSD as well. (BX500 2.5 SSD 5v 1.7a SATA 6g/s) 960GB

just have the CPU left. How do i find out what CPU's are compatible/usable?

I'm not really worried about the price, as the laptop was a gift 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DavidGorhau 

Sorry, I was misinformed about the model Compaq -- as it evidently DOES have replaceable processor capability.

Please follow up with the reply by @Huffer below for advice.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@DavidGorhau 

Sorry, I was misinformed about the model Compaq -- as it evidently DOES have replaceable processor capability.

Please follow up with the reply by @Huffer below for advice.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I know this has a response accepted as solution but on this model you CAN upgrade the processor. You can go from the A4-4300M to A10-4600M. Post back if you wish to explore that further. If you can do the work yourself the A10 processor can be found for maybe $40. What is said above is true for current laptops made say in the last 3 years but yours is quite a bit older than that and still has a socketed, removeable CPU. 

HP Recommended

ty sir! found one on Ebay for $28.00 lol

https://www.ebay.com/p/1972426991?iid=282362446166

I'm guessing as they are both 2.8 Ghz this isn't going to be a game changer, but just a different architecture?? 

I know enough to build desktops haha, but this is the first time i'm dabbling in laptops

Love my fire breathing monster I'm on right now =P 

HP Recommended

The A10 is a Quad Core not Dual and has slightly better less obsolete graphics. If it were a killer processor it would cost more than $28 but you asked if its theoretically possible to do. Do you have the Service Manual? The physical replacement of a laptop processor is similar to a desktop except there is a release screw instead of a lever. 

HP Recommended

I dont sadly. Is there a downloadable version?

HP Recommended

Of course. Download from this link:

Manual 

Pages 79-84. 

HP Recommended

tyvm 🙂 

since we know that it is possible to replace the processor, what would be that best one that is compatible with laptop/tiny motherboard? 

or should i be asking what types of CPU's are compatible? 

HP Recommended

That one you linked from eBay is the highest and best for your motherboard. It's a dropin replacement. Reuse the existing heatsink; fits in the same socket as the one you have. 

HP Recommended

ty ty ty 

You've answer'd all my questions good sir! with this I think I'm good to stop badgering you now lol. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.