Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion cw007nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everybody!

So I've seen that BIOS options on Desktop motherboards allow users to change their Ryzen APU VRAM options. But the BIOS of this Laptop MB (84E7 model) does not.

It seems that the VRAM is set to 1GB but some apps and games show it as 2.1GB. That's confusing. Either way, does the iGPU 'borrow' more memory from RAM if it needs it, or is this dedicated VRAM fixed?

What happens if I upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB? I'd want more VRAM then 1GB or 2.1GB in that case.

I hope I make sense. 🙂

Cheers,
Goran from Serbia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Benel

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

To conclude, the VRAM on your PC is already shared with a specific value and its locked and cannot be changed.

Hope the information shared will help you.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Benel

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

HP Pc’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

This is done in the best interest of safeguarding the PC for the optimal performance and not to cause any extensive component failure.

To conclude, the VRAM on your PC is already shared with a specific value and its locked and cannot be changed.

Hope the information shared will help you.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's truly a bad an unfortunate decision from HP.

But thank you for your helpful reply! 🙂

HP Recommended

@Benel

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need assistance

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there @KrazyToad!

Thank you for this information.

I am due to upgrade my laptop's RAM to 16, 24 or 32 GB in the next couple of days.

As such I would very much like to expand the VRAM also.

Can you please provide me with the unmodified BIOS for the 84E7 motherboard?

If you cannot post it publicly, can you send me it somehow?

Alternatively, on an unrelated note, can you tell me which desktop computers use the same motherboard?

I believe that we should have the right to modify our hardware however we wish - especially when the video RAM is pre-determined by somebody else based on the original quantity of total RAM installed! Now I will have more than enough to allocate a much larger portion to the video, thus massively improving the operational abilities of my laptop, in terms of gaming, video processing, 3D realtime rendering, and certain Photoshop functions.

Thank you! 🙏🏻

HP Recommended

@fazzaan

HP PC’s uses a customized BIOS setting (Tattooed BIOS) of which some features including overclocking and increasing the VRAM are locked.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

@KrazyToad I understand, thank you for your response and explanation.

From my understanding of shared VRAM, there is no reason that sharing more RAM will cause any kind of damage to any part of the system, whatsoever. I have my own experience of this, but also a quick Google and look around some computing and gaming forums will show you that this is a very common practice amongst those using shared RAM, and indeed is the intended purpose of the function of sharing regular RAM with the GPU module.

Overclocking, I can understand the restriction upon - especially inside such a thin laptop. That will create greater heat and absolutely has a high potential of damaging the CPU, motherboard, and surrounding components, as well as decreasing the battery life.

I understand that you can do nothing about this and that you are simply informing me of this fact. I appreciate your message, thank you. I just want to express my disappointment and upset that, as the years pass, we the consumers are having more and more of our control over our own devices wrested from our grips. I paid for this device, I own it, and I expect to be able to modify it as I please.

Thank you again for your help 🙏🏻

HP Recommended

@fazzaan

I understand your concerns and disappointment

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Здравствуйте!

Я владелец  HP envy x360 15-bq003ur . У меня как вы понимаете на ноутбуке Vega 8 и я был неприятно удивлен когда узнал, что она имеет 256 Mb памяти. Это на ноутбуке выпущенного 2018 году!!????  Вы смеетесь!??? И мало того, нет возможности регулировки ее в BIOS.  Прошу решить вопрос о возможности регулировки памяти видеокарты. 

С Уважением Юрий Вольбром 

HP Recommended

Hello! I am the owner of the HP envy x360 15-bq003ur. As you know, I have a Vega 8 laptop and I was unpleasantly surprised when I found out that it has 256 Mb of memory. This is on a laptop released in 2018 !! ???? Are you laughing! ??? And besides, there is no way to adjust it in the BIOS. I ask you to resolve the issue of the possibility of adjusting the memory of the video card. Sincerely, Yuri Volbrom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.