Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
probook 645 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have been planning to connect my laptop (HP probook 645 G1) with an external graphics card, when i searched on youtube i could find many videos connecting graphics through mini PCIE and NGFF slot, seeing that, when i opened my probook i could find an empty NGFF slot and two wires unplugged near by. 

Can i use that port for connecting external graphics card so that i can leave PCIE slot as it is with out compromising my Wifi and blue tooth connectivity? i am super confused because the graphics card dock is not available in local market, i have to buy using ebay some thing else, so if it is not compatible the chances are slim for returning or replacing the dock.

Can any one help me please...!!

NGFF slot.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you would have to remove the wi-fi card in the adjacent slot and use that. The empty slot is for WWAN only. This is a bad idea for many reasons and please do not assume I am telling you it will work at all. I'm just saying the empty slot cannot be used for eGPU. Knock yourself out. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello

what you want to do have no sense.

probably the slot you see if for the WWAN card and the two wires are for the antennas.

bye

HP Recommended

If so, then I think i can go with mini pcie slot..

HP Recommended

Yes you would have to remove the wi-fi card in the adjacent slot and use that. The empty slot is for WWAN only. This is a bad idea for many reasons and please do not assume I am telling you it will work at all. I'm just saying the empty slot cannot be used for eGPU. Knock yourself out. 

HP Recommended

Can you please tell me the possible issues that would run in to in future if i do so.?
Thank you

HP Recommended

You have to run the laptop with the bottom cover off and no wifi card just for starters. You are trying to run a 4x or 8x or 16x pcie device through a 1x channel. Like trying to drive a giant semi with two trailers down a two-lane country dirt road. Heat can possibly damage the laptop. The external eGPU requires an external monitor. It is a giant mess of a setup. Other than that, it rocks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.