Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-ae001nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought this laptop in 10/2017.  From 08/2019 I had problems with the NVIDIA driver for GeForce 940MX.

At the time, the French HP community advised me to wait for HP to offer a suitable driver.

Today the problem is daily, each time Windows Update updates the driver, the laptop crashes and I have to restart I hurry to remove the driver from the device manager, until the next time.

The NVIDIA card is no longer usable, and the laptop restarts more and more difficult without intervention.

The latest pilots offered by HP are those of 2018 for W10 1803.

(see https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-17-ae0000-laptop-pc-series/15551157/model/1... )

Knowing that it is not possible or desired to stay on an old version of Windows 10, and that blocking the driver update does not seem to work, my question is the following:

Is my laptop still maintained and can I hope to find a good functioning of the graphics card with the latest versions of Windows 10?

Or can I permanently deactivate the NVIDIA card so that the laptop no longer malfunctions ?

I am trying to reinstall a clean version of windows 10 (this would be the subject of another message), either from the media provided by Microsoft (version 20H2), or by come back to the original configuration from the media purchased from HP supplemented with all Windows Update updates.

But is it useful if HP does not provide the good updated driver ?

Thank you for your reply

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Reym0

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display driver on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105684.exe

Once the BIOS is updated, then download and install the driver from the below (Nvidia) website and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello,

Thanks for your help. You answered my question about NVIDIA correctly.
I managed to update the BIOS with the link you gave me using a USB stick. The BIOS display shows F.31.
And I tested the update from NVIDIA using your link (will be helpful later).

But several problems coexist.

HISTORICA

Laptop bought new in 2017. 128 GB SSD replaced by 1 TB SSD in 2019. Memory increased from 8 to 16 GB in 2019.

As stated in my previous post, the laptop was unusable because it did not support any NVIDIA driver downloaded by Windows Update. So I wanted to properly reinstall my laptop. 2 possible solutions, either from a USB key provided by HP (return to the original state), or from a USB key created from the Microsoft site by following the procedure found on the support site of HP (Windows 10 20H2).

I performed 4 successive installations:

1) Install Windows 10 20H2 on disk 1 from media downloaded from Microsoft.
Without deleting the Recovery, System, ... partitions present on the disks.
-> The laptop is working. It supports the NVIDIA driver loaded by Windows Update, the NVIDIA control panel is accessible, it crashes less often.

CONCLUSION: Usable laptop, crashes on NVIDIA driver update, NVIDIA not usable.

2) The USB drive purchased from HP (Best2Serve) to reinstall the laptop in the original condition does not work.
-> Error : "This computer is not supported by the System Recovery Media. You will not be able to continue to recover this system with these media." "error: 0100 - 834D - 83AD, 83AE, 83AF, 83B0,83B1".

By consulting the messages of your community I understood that the problem could come from a difference between the data expected by the media and the updated data or not present in the BIOS. Or that the media was intended for 83AD, 83AE, 83AF, 83B0,83B1 motherboards while my laptop is equipped with the 834D. I sent a message to this effect to Best2Serve asking for a version for 834D (unanswered at this time).

CONCLUSION: Reset not possible.

3) New installation of Windows 10 20H2 on disk 0, with all partitions previously deleted except C: WINDOWS and 😧 DATA.
-> Almost every restart, error "File: \ Windows \ system32 \ winload.efi Error code: 0xc000000e" or "error 0xc000000e".
After ESC then ENTER Windows restarting. Behavior of NVIDIA as in 1) according to Windows Update.

CONCLUSION: Error 0xc000000e on startups, in addition to NVIDIA problem of 1).

4) New installation of Windows 10 20H2 as in 3) on disk 1 .
-> Always error 0xc000000e. And ESC then ENTER to start.

BIOS installation following the link you gave me (using a USB key to avoid the 0xc000000e error on restart).
BIOS updated, version F.31 in BIOS screen. OK.
But error on restarts: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Unable to access Windows by ESC then ENTER.
Only the command line is accessible.

CONCLUSION: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED blocking error in addition to the problems of 3).

Can all these problems be related to the driver?

Or do you have to resolve the other issues first (and open a new post) before solving NVIDIA problem ?

- Error 0xc000000e and error CRITICAL PROCESS DIED errors for clean installation of Windows 10 20H2.
Or
- Error 0100 - 834D - 83AD, 83AE, 83AF, 83B0,83B1 on HP media for restore to original state.

I realize that I installed Windows sometimes on the disk 0, sometimes on the disk 1 and I dont know what is my SSD disk (disk 0 or disk 1, each of 1TB) ?

What is the link between these different errors and the different possible causes:
Replacing the SSD, Installing on the wrong disk, Deleting old System EFI and Recovery partitions, Wrong version of the initial BIOS F28, BIOS F31 incompatible, NVIDIA driver ?

Thank you for your next reply.

Have a good day.
Bye.

HP Recommended

@Reym0

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your link to HP support. But before contacting you I had already used this link, tried a lot of things, in particular performed all of the HP DIAGNOSTICS tests which are all OK so in principle no hardware problem.

I don't want to contact an advisor which would pay off, I already bought HP media for nothing!

Today the problems other than NVIDIA have disappeared (see "For information:" at the end of the message) after clean  reinstalling Windows 10 20H2 from still the same media created from the Microsoft site.

We find ourselves in the situation of my first message, but with the BIOS updated to F.31.

Indeed I made several new attempts to install the NVIDIA driver from the link https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

- Before recovery of an NVIDIA driver by Windows Update, the installation of NVIDIA GeForce Experience is successful. Then no compatible driver is found and I install the last available 460.89.

Then, depending on the case, blocking, or blue screen and VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR, or screen frozen when restarting before login ...

- Other installations before or after the recovery of the driver 452.41 by Windows update:

Sometimes Nvidia GeForce Experience does not install because hardware not found, sometimes crashes during installation, or during installation of the 460.89 driver. Then, sometimes screen blocking and shutdown by the Start / Stop key then screen blocked before login, sometimes blue screen with VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR type message ...

- Manual installation of the 460.89 driver. Same.

Thanks for your help with this NVIDIA drive problem.

While waiting,

Thank you

Have  Merry Christmas

For information :

After cleaning the disks everytime (the 2 empty and not allocated) before the above tests on a clean environment I had:

1) Install Ubuntu on the SSD drive:

- With NVIDIA proprietary driver option: KO installation.

- With NVIDIA driver: Installation OK.

Everything works fine, even the applications launched with the "use NVIDIA graphics card" option, But I was not able to verify its usage.

2) Install a clean Windows 10 20H2 from Microsoft media. The laptop starts up correctly:

- Unallocated HDD disk

- SSD disk with:

o Windows 10 20H2 19042.631

o 100 MB EFI system partition

o Partition C: 930 GB o 512 MB recovery partition

- No NVIDIA driver

- BIOS F.31

HP Recommended

@Reym0

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in this regard.

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.