Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G2
Linux

Based on my investigation I concluded I cannot install a M.2 2280 form factor SSD in a ZBook 17 G2, am I right? I didn't see that listed on the "Maintenance and Service Guide" for HP ZBook 17 G2 Mobile Workstation posted on support.hp.com. I just want to double check. Thanks for your time.

Linux is better than Windows.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes safe to assume if it accepts a 256 it will accept a 512, but your best bet is to take the back cover off and eyeball whether there is a place to put an 80mm M.2 disk. That thread from another forum I sent you says no and the Service Manual seems to confirm it. The M.2 slot is only 60mm long. 

HP Tech Support, gotta love them but I wonder how useful they will be here. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The parts list includes this M.2 2280 PCIe disk:

256GB, M 2, PCIe-2×2 794731-001

However, hard to see where you can put it. No space for anything 80 mm long. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/zbook-g2-owners-alternatives-to-z-turbo-drive.769103/

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

The parts list includes this M.2 2280 PCIe disk:

256GB, M 2, PCIe-2×2 794731-001

wow, I missed that.

If it supports 256gb, is there any reason to think that it won't support 512gb?

I will probably have to give hp technical support a call.

HP Recommended

Yes safe to assume if it accepts a 256 it will accept a 512, but your best bet is to take the back cover off and eyeball whether there is a place to put an 80mm M.2 disk. That thread from another forum I sent you says no and the Service Manual seems to confirm it. The M.2 slot is only 60mm long. 

HP Tech Support, gotta love them but I wonder how useful they will be here. 

HP Recommended

I don't have the ZBook yet. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi. I have tried to installed m2 with such factor,

it was ok.

HP Recommended

Hello, do I understand bad or you managed to put one m.2 ssd nvme 2280 form factor on a zbook G2 17"? As I've the same laptop I've seen that form factor accepted is 2260 as there is only one screw for fix it (60mm) and seems there's no space to fit a longer card due to the chip welded on the other side in front of the connector.

Please let me know because is difficult to find today a 2260 nvme disk.

Thanks and regards

Luca

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.