Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ax000ne (2016 model)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I want upgrade my M.2 SSD, which already have SanDisk SD8SNAT-128-1006 M.2 SSD drive to PCIE NVMe M.2 SSD like samsung 950Pro. Can I use 950Pro? which is better solution?

Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 SSD (2280) 

Or 

Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW)

Will using 950 Pro increase my laptop performance sonsiderably?

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Sunil GP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is fast and your notebook's performance will astonish you.  That should be all you need to know.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Yes, you can.

It could have even been purchased with a Samsung 256 or 512 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 SSD

Currently, an NVMe SSD , which happens to be a proprietary type of M.2 SSD by Samsung, is the fastest SSD on the planet.  Of course, that will change and something else will come to market.

The Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V5P512BW) will work.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your valuable reply. No customization option was there while purchasing, because I purchased from a shop in Kuwait. Now I will upgrade the SSD with 950Pro. So I have one more question, i.e., with this SSD can I get the maximum speed or will it be limited to 600MB/Sec?

Regards,

Sunil GP

HP Recommended

It is fast and your notebook's performance will astonish you.  That should be all you need to know.

HP Recommended

Does the Omen 17 have a PCIE NVME 3.0 x4 slot? From everything I have read it does....

Even the drives in the service manual say: 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe SS meaning single sided (Samsung PM951)   Which is what came with my Omen 17-w151nr

So WHY  are we only getting PCIE 2.0 READ SPEEDS? Appx 1700MBS MAX READ

Just upgraded my SSD to a Samsung SM961 read speeds up to 3200MBS and write speeds up to 1800MBS

yet the Omen 17-w151nr is capping the read speeds at 1700MBS write speed is about 1650MBS which is pretty average for this drive.

Please someone who really knows why our READ speeds are being capped at 1700MBS answer this.

Contacted Tech support and they are "looking into this" but with the new Samsung 960 Pro and Evo available now there are going to be some upset people when these laptops for whatever reason cannot deliver the drives rated speeds.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:

From HP AMS TCO Escalations Team

As per our conversation earlier, here is what we spoke on for your own records.

We are aware of the issues you're experiencing with the Samsung 961 Pro M.2 and the HP OMEN.

As of right now thee is no current fix for the unit limiting the read speeds of the new drive due to the BIOS not supporting it. (Other words they need to unlock it in the bios)

It has only been tested and updated for desktop units.

I have spoken with our Level 2 technicians and they've advised to be on the lookout for a BIOS update within the next Month and a half to 2 Months to rectify these issues.

Well see how long this bios update takes.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.