Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15bc500nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to everyone,

I bought a new laptop Hp 15bc500nl which is perfect for my job as researcher but I'm working till late night, and even if I can modulate the light of the screen to work in the darkness I cannot see the keyboard buttons to write and I hate to carry lights attached on usb cause i need them for the flashmemories nad other stuff.  I was wondering if I can replace the keyboard with a backlit one, if possible, it would be really fantastic!

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Madeline86 

Yes, this series supports the option.

Something important to know about the backlit option:

At this writing, consumer grade computers (including the Pavilion series of notebooks) do NOT include access to the BIOS > Advanced section where the backlit keyboard timeout can be fully controlled.

What?

Back light on the keyboard will switch off after (at most) 15 seconds of non-use.  AND, there is nothing to be done about that limitation.  To re-engage the back light, it is necessary to click on any key.  Yes, extra hassle.  No, not end-of-world.

Still want it?

Information to replace the keyboard here:

Maintenance and Service Guide

Part Number and country codes on Page 69

Essentially:  The top cover with keyboard remains after removing all other spared parts from the computer.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

References

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 15-bc500nl

BIOS – Backlit Keyboard and other Advanced Options

This is one of those situations where the how-to document mentions that a particular feature might not be supported on every computer.  The document does not offer an exact explanation because the document is not written for YOUR computer.

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Section: The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

Discussion

In general, and there might be exceptions,

• Business class computers offer the BIOS Advanced section. 
  • Examples of business class systems include and are not limited to:  Zbook Mobile Workstations, ProBook, EliteBook, and others.

For example

• The backlit keyboard timeout option is included in the Advanced section as appropriate (assuming system has a backlit keyboard).

• At this writing, consumer class systems do not include the Advanced BIOS section.
  • Examples of consumer grade systems include and are not limited to:  Spectre, Pavilion, Envy, Notebook.

HP Note

BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, refer to the documentation provided with the computer or go to the appropriate document for your PC.

Consumer Class Desktops and Notebooks – BIOS Setup

Commercial / Business Class Computers – BIOS Setup

HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup - Administration Guide

On those computers where the option IS supported

Restart into BIOS – Set backlit keyboard “always” on

Restart > while screen blank, repeat ESC key until menu starts

BIOS setup

Advanced > Built-In Device Options >

Scroll down, set Backlit keyboard timeout = Never

Click back to Main (menu), select Save changes and exit

EOF

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Madeline86 

Yes, this series supports the option.

Something important to know about the backlit option:

At this writing, consumer grade computers (including the Pavilion series of notebooks) do NOT include access to the BIOS > Advanced section where the backlit keyboard timeout can be fully controlled.

What?

Back light on the keyboard will switch off after (at most) 15 seconds of non-use.  AND, there is nothing to be done about that limitation.  To re-engage the back light, it is necessary to click on any key.  Yes, extra hassle.  No, not end-of-world.

Still want it?

Information to replace the keyboard here:

Maintenance and Service Guide

Part Number and country codes on Page 69

Essentially:  The top cover with keyboard remains after removing all other spared parts from the computer.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

References

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 15-bc500nl

BIOS – Backlit Keyboard and other Advanced Options

This is one of those situations where the how-to document mentions that a particular feature might not be supported on every computer.  The document does not offer an exact explanation because the document is not written for YOUR computer.

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Section: The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

Discussion

In general, and there might be exceptions,

• Business class computers offer the BIOS Advanced section. 
  • Examples of business class systems include and are not limited to:  Zbook Mobile Workstations, ProBook, EliteBook, and others.

For example

• The backlit keyboard timeout option is included in the Advanced section as appropriate (assuming system has a backlit keyboard).

• At this writing, consumer class systems do not include the Advanced BIOS section.
  • Examples of consumer grade systems include and are not limited to:  Spectre, Pavilion, Envy, Notebook.

HP Note

BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, refer to the documentation provided with the computer or go to the appropriate document for your PC.

Consumer Class Desktops and Notebooks – BIOS Setup

Commercial / Business Class Computers – BIOS Setup

HP PC Commercial BIOS (UEFI) Setup - Administration Guide

On those computers where the option IS supported

Restart into BIOS – Set backlit keyboard “always” on

Restart > while screen blank, repeat ESC key until menu starts

BIOS setup

Advanced > Built-In Device Options >

Scroll down, set Backlit keyboard timeout = Never

Click back to Main (menu), select Save changes and exit

EOF

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Dragon-Fur! 😄

Yes I still want the backlit keyboard intead of the 15 sec issue, since at the end it is not. When I write, I type like a machine and the fact that the light turns off if i'm not typing will even save the battery life.😁

Thank you for the prompt answer and all the useful information for the replace 😍 that otherwise I wouldn't known absolutely where to look for!

best regards

Maddy

HP Recommended

@Madeline86 

You are welcome.

I included the notes for the timeout limitations on the consumer grade machines because there are a number of people in the world for whom this is an important issue.  Best informed makes for best decisions, and all that.  Smiling.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.