Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb053tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi ,

I am planning to purchase  HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb053tx    laptop .    Can I upgrade this model (HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb053tx ) laptop   with 16 GB RAM and M.2 SSD to 256GB or more ?  Also how many RAM memory slots will be available for this model ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual

Pretty much the answer is yes to all your questions. It has 2 memory slots for DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM modules and expressly can handle up to 16 gigs (2 x 😎 and we know from several reports it can actually run 2 x 16 gigs = 32 gigs. 

There is an M.2 SSD slot that is good for either SATA-3 2280 form factor M.2 disks or the faster PCIe/NVME variety. HP only offers up to a 256 gig M.2 disk but that is not a ceiling. Capacity is not an issue. It would handle a 1 TB or a 2 TB if your budget allows. PCIe/NVME disks do tend to bump up against some compatibility issues. You need to carefully select a module to install. Samsung 960 models have caused some issues specifically and Intel and Toshibas are having issues after the latest round of Windows updates. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the answer you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual

Pretty much the answer is yes to all your questions. It has 2 memory slots for DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM modules and expressly can handle up to 16 gigs (2 x 😎 and we know from several reports it can actually run 2 x 16 gigs = 32 gigs. 

There is an M.2 SSD slot that is good for either SATA-3 2280 form factor M.2 disks or the faster PCIe/NVME variety. HP only offers up to a 256 gig M.2 disk but that is not a ceiling. Capacity is not an issue. It would handle a 1 TB or a 2 TB if your budget allows. PCIe/NVME disks do tend to bump up against some compatibility issues. You need to carefully select a module to install. Samsung 960 models have caused some issues specifically and Intel and Toshibas are having issues after the latest round of Windows updates. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Thanks  :generic: for the quick and detailed answer !!  I just bought this laptop . Can I go ahead with the below parts to upgrade .

1. Samsung 860 EVO Series - 250GB M.2 SATA Internal SSD (MZ-N6E250BW) or WD Blue 500GB M.2
  2. Kingston Value RAM 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 SODIMM 1Rx8

thanks

HP Recommended

Yes either of the M.2s you ask about will work. However, as I said, those are SATA M.2 disks. They are fast, but for a little more money you can have PCIe/NVME which is FAST. 

This model will work:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PM961-Polaris-128GB-MZVLW128HEGR-00000/dp/B071RCFGLZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

The Kingston Value RAM would probably be OK but you would be better off with an OEM type module like Samsung or Hynix like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PC4-19200-2400MHz-SODIMM-memory/dp/B06Y1RZW5P/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronic...

https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-PC4-19200-Unbuffered-Notebook-Computer/dp/B079SLB5XG/ref=sr_1_17?s=el...

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Not much information on that one; too new. I have personally installed several of the PM961 and that is what HP supplies as a replacement part. If you want to take a shot at the 970 report back here how it works to add to our knowledge. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.