Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 n260-tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I was just going through the maintenance guide for Pavilion 15 notebooks, and saw that the system board can be replaced. I want to upgrade my CPU to an i5 or i7. Is it possible?

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4010U @ 1.70 GHz

System memory: 12.0 GB

System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@mouri11 

Yes and no

• No: you simply can't swap CPU/Processor because CPU is soldered to the motherboard.
  • Yes: you can BUY new motherboard with better CPU (if available) and you also have to buy new Windows license because CPU, Windows license and motherboard are all in one piece of hardware,

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ok. So what do you think? Is it feasible to change the motherboard? Or is it better buying a new notebook or desktop? Also, how can I know the model of the motherboard inside?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.