sharieramanella Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade the wifi card on HP Stream 11?

HP Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

We have had problems with the wifi on our HP stream since we bought it in January.  It frequently won't connect - asks for password and repeatedly says it is incorrect.  Eventually it connects but only a frustrating period of re-entering a password we know to be correct.  Sometimes it even drops when connected.  We have taken it back to the store twice - both times it has supposedly been fixed.  We have had Virgin out to check our router.  All was fine and he suggested it might be the wifi card.  Is this possible?  Can we upgrade? If not, is there an ethernet cable we can use to connect? (I bought one but it needed a CD drive).  Very frustrated so ideas welcome!

2 REPLIES 2
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 302
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The manual for the Stream 11 shows that the Wifi card (known as the WLAN module) is socketed and replaceable. In the past HP has whitelisted certain cards so that only specific ones will work with a given BIOS. I am not sure if that is still the case with the Stream laptops but you could risk buying a card that would not work. 

Have you tried reinstalling the Wifi driver from the hp.com site?  That has been required by some other Stream notebook owners who have posted here.

0 Kudos
sharieramanella Top Student
Top Student
7 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. I haven't tried reinstalling the driver - so I'll try that first. If that doesn't work I'll risk buying a card and see if it helps.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation