Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-F387wm (AMD Series)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently been wanting to upgrade my laptop's hard drive, as it recently started showing symptoms of HDD failure. I am thinking of upgrading to a M.2 NVMe SSD from Samsung, as those are the fastest. However, I am having a difficult time finding an adapter that would allow me to use the M.2 NVMe in my computer's HDD slot. I keep finding the M.2 NGFF adapters, but they apparently aren't compatible... Is there any adapters that will allow me to use a M.2 NVMe SSD in the slot that the HDD is in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My friend your laptop doesn't support NVMe.  Even if you found an adapter your motherboard won't be able to handle the speeds so you'll be wasting your money on an NVMe drive for nothing.  Think of it this way NVMe drive is a 6 lane highway and your motherboard is a 2 lane highway...see the problem?  Just upgrade your HDD to one of these and you'll be very happy! trust me!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-250GB-Internal-MZ-76E250B-AM/dp/B07864WMK8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=15JPWN551W...

Thanks,

Kevin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

My friend your laptop doesn't support NVMe.  Even if you found an adapter your motherboard won't be able to handle the speeds so you'll be wasting your money on an NVMe drive for nothing.  Think of it this way NVMe drive is a 6 lane highway and your motherboard is a 2 lane highway...see the problem?  Just upgrade your HDD to one of these and you'll be very happy! trust me!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-250GB-Internal-MZ-76E250B-AM/dp/B07864WMK8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=15JPWN551W...

Thanks,

Kevin

HP Recommended

Thank you for the help! I was looking for the fastest SSD I could get for my laptop, as it was built for gaming. I might get the Crucial brand SSDs, as the RAM I bought from them works quite well.

HP Recommended

Also, is the SATA port of a Toshiba Satellite L755 detachable? If so, are there NVMe M.2 SSD ports that can be used in place of the SATA port? If there are, would that make the Toshiba laptop able to use a NVMe M.2 SSD at full speed? Just wondering...

Pictures of a Toshiba Satellite L755 motherboard:Bottom side of motherboardBottom side of motherboard

Bottom side of optical drive and SATA portsBottom side of optical drive and SATA ports

Top side of SATA portTop side of SATA port

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.