Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac028tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade the HDD of this notebook. It currently houses one Toshiba MQ01ABD100 hard drive SATA 2.5" drive. I am looking to keep using this drive, but install a M2 SSD and make that the primary boot device.

It would be helpful, if you can suggest whether M2 Drives are compatible with this notebook model. If not what are the alternatives available.

Link to Manuals - https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-ac000-notebook-pc-series/7771404/model/8326090/manuals

Note: This model seems was being sold in India only, that makes finding applicable documentation even harder. The linked document here talks about HP 250 G4 Notebook PC HP 256 G4.

Please advise. 

Anindya Basu
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no M.2 slot available and no way to install an M.2 SSD. The laptop is just a bit too old for that. Your option for an SSD is a 2.5 inch SATA type in place of the hard drive and then place the hard drive in an optical (DVD) caddy adapter if you need more storage. 

Post back if you need to discuss further or please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is no M.2 slot available and no way to install an M.2 SSD. The laptop is just a bit too old for that. Your option for an SSD is a 2.5 inch SATA type in place of the hard drive and then place the hard drive in an optical (DVD) caddy adapter if you need more storage. 

Post back if you need to discuss further or please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

This model was launched in June 2015 and I purchased it in March 2016.

It is really difficult to find out they did not add these slots back in 2016 - thereby limiting the upgrade options altogether.

Also, does this model accept another 8 Gig RAM in the 2nd slot - the first slot comes with 8 GB inserted from factory. But the 2nd slot is empty - so if we place in another 8GB in that, would it work? The CPU can drive 16 GB RAM, but HP mentioned 8 GB is the limit somehow.

It's an i7 5500U , 2.4 GHZ CPU, but always waiting for the HDD read cycles and getting hung - when you are putting a higher end processor, why not add some future upgrade worthy options also.

Anindya Basu
HP Recommended

Its a 5th gen processor and the current gen is 9th so its 4 generations old. It was an older platform that was popular and HP kept selling. The Manual is dated 2015 and that would be the date it was designed. Using DDR3, not DDR4 it was dated when it was made and it was a budget type platform designed for mass deployment by business users. M.2 was just not able to be added to this motherboard. Yes the max memory would be 2 x 8 = 16 gigs DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM. I don't design them or sell them I just pass on what can be done with them. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.