Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why does HP still ignore the problem of broken hinges on laptops? not only do they ignore the issue but they actively fight against repairing them even under warranty why? certainly here in the UK.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@dorkins1

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Several interesting points have been discovered whilst pursuing the problem of HP Laptop hinges,

1st I had the usual mod contact saying this would be  put into the hands of the "appropriate team" response? absolutely nothing, secondly the mods work on behalf  of HP, perhaps naively I just took this to be they worked for HP hence no real clout in getting anything done.

Perhaps more importantly, in talking to "HP UK" where our stuff is sent back for repairs it became clear (to me) they are not HP but at best a subcontracting company who you cannot contact by writing to them, their address does not exist (publicly) so they hide behind email only contact, being an independant (I believe) it is not in their interest to repair anything under warranty, if they can try and wriggle out of it (as they are doing with me) claiming that the damage is "customer induced" they can then try on a charge, in my case £200, to fix the problem. I have tried to complain/discuss with what I thought was HP but they just constantly try to fob me off, this is not what I think HP would genuinely want, this is from HP:

Complaints –[edit]

HP can be contacted on their customer care phone number [edit] if you have a serious complaint about your device or the conduct of their repair staff. For instance if you have been unfairly denied a refund under their warranty scheme you can phone this helpline to appeal against their decision. Moreover if your laptop or desktop PC repeatedly breaks down and they refuse to repair it you can call this helpline to voice your grievances. You may also choose to write a formal letter of complaint to HP and send it to their UK head office which is located at this Bracknell address.

[edit]

"Customer care" have done none of this, guess where I am writing to next! 

Finally, I also notice that on this forum that the problem is often flagged as "solved" once a mod has responded but there is no posting on the forum by the customer (or the mod) as to what has actually been done, unless I have missed something, if I have I would be pleased to see this pointed out , just my two penny worth.

HP Recommended

Well it is absolutely clear that HP have no intention of honouring their warranties on broken hinges, it is also clear that mods are aware of this, I now realise how long this has been going on for, would you believe since 2008! in [edit]in the states there is a lot of talk about taking class action agains HP but as yet no individual has tried, understandable given the size of HP! this is what they rely on, perhaps one day it will happen,  many customers of HP will already be aware of this, the only thing that can be done is to highlight the way HP treat their customers and warn potentially new ones to boycott ALL their products, if you think this is over the top put on here by a disgruntled customer (now ex customer) put "hewlett packard class action lawsuit" into search engine and then go to "classaction.org"

[edit]

its well worth a read!

HP Recommended

An update and recap on the situation with HP.

I have a HP laptop with a failed left hinge, it was returned UNDER WARRANTY to HP UK (a contractor to HP, I know this because the  support person admitted he was not paid by HP) they told me it would cost £200 as the damage was "customer induced" it WAS NOT, they caused substantial further damage whilst inspecting the problem, they then returned the laptop without contacting me first stating I had refused to pay for the repair, this WAS NOT the case I had tried to enter into some dialogue but they refused to discuss the matter.

I then contacted HP Support in the States  on Facebook, still believing that HP would honour the warranty or at least discuss the matter, after several messages (all done on private messaging of course!) they promised to "reach out" (an often used phrase by HP) they "escalated " it to the next level, having done this several times they referred the case back to HP UK (the same organisation I had already been dealing with) in contacting them by 'phone we went through the whole saga of "escalating"  and "reaching out" they would contact me, they never bothered, at this point I decided to give this forum a go, the first contact after my post was a mod asking for details and offering help and someone would be in touch - nothing happened, I posted a couple of other times which were edited by the mod and was told "if I continue in this vain" I would be banned from the forum, I asked the mod for clarification - no reponse, after a further post a different mod contacted me asking for all the details yet again, I asked why they would need them again - response? nothing.

HP have shown their true colours, they have no intention of supporting their customers with this problem, they will not admit there is a problem, they will not repair even UNDER WARRANTY, they are able to do this because they know individuals such as myself are not able to do anything about it, their customer service is absolutely abysmal, appalling, shocking and utter disgrace.

I have one last request of HP, a local repair shop quotes £50 to carry out this repair, why do you ask for £200? I shall have the repair done as I need to use the laptop, I suspect this will negate the warranty but so what?, HP have proven it is not worth the paper it is written on!

If anyone of significance from HP happens to read this, try and salvage some dignity by responding in public, on this forum why HP behave like this, finally, I WILL be making a complaint to HP UK head office in Bracknell, I haven't put the full address as the mods edited it before and I thought Iwould save you the trouble, if anyone needs it  look up Hewlett Packard on companies house on the interenet, I will also complain to Trading Standards, BBC Watchdog and the consumer programme "You and Yours on Radio 4 (for the benefit of UK customers) needless to say I can never recommend or purchase HP products ever again.

OK mods get to work editing, copies have been taken and will be forwarded as a complaint to HP head office.

HP Recommended

@dorkins1 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information.

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

My response to yet another mod:

Please read the whole saga of posts, you will see that I have been down this route MULTIPLE times, each time it goes absolutely nowhere, I am convinced this is policy of HP to wear people out so they subsequently give up out of frustration, HP have had their chance to do the right thing, they have failed miserably, the course I will now follow has been posted, contact by a 3rd mod is of no use whatsover.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.