Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion BA078tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I feel the need of upgrading this laptop HDD to SDD. What options does it support?

-Can I put SSD in place of HDD(by loosing 1 TB disk space)?

-Can it support M2.SSD or NVMe SSD so I can keep my 1 TB hard disk?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This confuses a lot of people but its an M.2 slot. An M.2 SSD with either the "B" key or "B + M" key will fit right in there. Most NVME SSDs are B keyed (one cut as you say) and those would fit in the slot but in your case will not be recognized by the BIOS or the system. Most SATA M.2 SSDs are B + M (2 cuts as you say) and will fit in the slot AND work. 

B + M keyed SSDB + M keyed SSD

B keyed SSD-DON"T BUY THISB keyed SSD-DON"T BUY THIS

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It can support an SSD in addition to the hard drive. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

Two negative things:

1. M.2 SSD for your model can only be the SATA kind. NVME not supported.

2. The M.2 slot (and memory slots) are on the backside of the motherboard. So upgrade is a very intensive tech experience not for the casual laptop mechanic. 

Backside of motherboardBackside of motherboard

See p. 59 of the Manual. You CAN simply replace the hard drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD which will perform just as well as a SATA M.2 SSD and much easier task. See p. 42.

So post back if you wish to discuss further and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-14 at 2.53.10 PM.jpeg

If you look at above image then you can see its a empty slot with one cut (NVMe generally have one cut) and M.2 SATA have 2 cuts. So, I'm confused whether this slot will be compatible with M.2 NVMe or M.2 SATA ? 

HP Recommended

This confuses a lot of people but its an M.2 slot. An M.2 SSD with either the "B" key or "B + M" key will fit right in there. Most NVME SSDs are B keyed (one cut as you say) and those would fit in the slot but in your case will not be recognized by the BIOS or the system. Most SATA M.2 SSDs are B + M (2 cuts as you say) and will fit in the slot AND work. 

B + M keyed SSDB + M keyed SSD

B keyed SSD-DON"T BUY THISB keyed SSD-DON"T BUY THIS

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I dont know how to thank you but thanks a lot!!!

Just one more question, would.samsung evo 860 M.2 v-nand work with my M.2 slot??Screenshot_20190614-234236_Amazon Shopping.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes and its actually my preferred SATA M.2. Here in the Forum thanks are expressed by clicking "Accept as Solution" on one of my answers that helped you. Post back with any more questions and good luck. 

HP Recommended
Ordered.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.