Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11-y020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In the past, I have been able to upgrade our Stream 11-y020nr Windows 10 installation. For the latest Windows 1809 build update, however, I was unable to upgrade the our Stream 11-y020nr due to limited storage space. I followed instructions for Windows Media Creator tool to create a USB stick with the upgrade, but was further stymied as the install still required more free C:/ disk space than was available or could be recovered. I recently read that msata SSD hard drives could be used in lieu of the WLAN wifi card, in certain versions of the Stream 11 motherboards, if the adapter supports both PCI-Express and MSATA, and the motherboard provides the capability to route the interface to an appropriate controller. I read the provided Y020NR user documentation, as well as documentation found online and on the HP support pages, but I was unable to ascertain the pedigree of the adapter on the Y020NR motherboard, nor determine if it supported both PCI-E and MSATA. Is there any documentation on the Y020NR adapter, does it support both PCI-E and MSATA, and if so, is there a list of compatible (half size, I assume) SSD cards that can be used to increase the available storage to get beyond the inherent 27.8 GB of available storage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dude, I'm just looking for information. So far you have only stated it doesn't work. You don't work for HP, and I have no understanding of your credentials, and you have nothing documentation-wise from HP to back it up. Simply saying it is unknown since the manufacturer hasn't provided significant documentation on the port would have sufficed from the beginning. But that's not what you've given me.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@thesuavo

Welcome to the HP Community

I see that your laptop comes with 32 GB eMMC.

Embedded MultiMedia Controller (eMMC) supports 32GB and 64GB and this does not have PCI-E and MSATA.

Refer to the below link for Maintenance and Service Guide & Product Specifications.

Maintenance and Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06198373

Product Specifications: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-stream-11-y000-laptop-pc/12499227/model/12716820/document/c0...

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

And you might take a look at this as far as setting it up to have a useable amount of storage. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

There is just no way to have any other C:\ drive except the 32 gig eMMC so you have to develop a  strategy to make do with that, unfortunately. 

HP Recommended

I believe you did not understand my question. I do not wish to change the existing 32Gb of eMMC memory that is used as storage on  this machine. The WLAN wifi card is PCI-E, and is a Intel Dual Band AC 7265 802.11ac 2 × 2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter. If you refer to the Intel documentation (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/wireless/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-72...), this is a PCI-E card. It is connected to the motherboard, as shown in the manual you attached to your reply, via a 52-pin adapter which can house either PCI-E or MSATA cards. However, some motherboards only support PCI-E, some support only MSATA, and others support both formats. I have been unable to find any documentation for this motherboard with respect to this adapter, and wish to know what it supports PCI-E or both. Obviously since it currently houses a PCI-E format WLAN Wifi card, it mist support PCI-E.

HP Recommended

You can't put a storage disk in it. Single purpose slot not a general PCIe slot. 

HP Recommended

I'd be interested in seeing some documentation on the 11-y020nr motherboard from HP. Are schematics or motherboard documentation available beyond the general spec sheets included with the users guide?

HP Recommended

No but why don't you try putting a storage disk in there and let us know how it goes since you are skeptical. Seriously, HP does not make motherboard schematics available to us or to the public. 

HP Recommended

Dude, I'm just looking for information. So far you have only stated it doesn't work. You don't work for HP, and I have no understanding of your credentials, and you have nothing documentation-wise from HP to back it up. Simply saying it is unknown since the manufacturer hasn't provided significant documentation on the port would have sufficed from the beginning. But that's not what you've given me.

HP Recommended

Hey, yes you can although there was only one ssd that I can confirm was compatible. the Samsung PM830. There is a bit of info on ifixit and youtube for how to install. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.