09-22-2012 07:04 PM
My laptop came with a 160 gigabyte solid state drive and I ran out of disk space so I bought a 256 gigabyte ssd drive. I want to transfer all my software to the new drive. I bought a data transfer kit that comes with a bootable CD. I went to the bios to change the boot order so it would boot from the CD and there was a section that allowed one to rearrange the legacy boot order and it listed a usb CD. It did not just list CD. I choose usb cd to boot from first and it booted from the hard drive. That makes me think that the internal CD is not listed and can't be booted from. Is that true? How can I boot from an external device?
09-23-2012 10:10 AM
Can you select the DVD drive when you hit the Esc key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to launch the on time boot menu (there should be an F9 selection).
09-23-2012 05:55 PM
The only other advice I can offer is for you to do a hard reset of the notebook and see if that fixes the issue.
If that doesn't work and your notebook is still under warranty, I highly recommend you contact HP technical support and file a support case with them.
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot