Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 1050 Ti
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I tried plugging in my phone with a USB C to C cable (I have an S8), and when I do, the phone shows the charging animation over and over, indicating it's constantly getting connected and disconnected. It does not show up on my laptop either as a connected device.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@ntw3450,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post you need information and assistance related to your HP notebook. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the product number of your notebook? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you tried to use a different USB cable? Have you checked if other devices are detected on this port?

When was the last time it worked? 

Did you happen to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Could you please respond to this post with the details of the product so that I can provide you with an accurate solution, which should help you resolve this issue. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The model of my laptop is HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df0xxx.

I've used a USB-C to USB-A adapter, and that allows the phone to charge. All the drivers are up to date.

HP Recommended

@ntw3450

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

In this case, follow this link and install the thunderbolt driver.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Thunderbolt drivers have already been updated to that version.

HP Recommended

@ntw3450

Thanks for the response.

Try connecting the same adapter with a different port and see if it works. 

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Neither USB-C ports will charge the phone. The USB-A port works fine for it.

HP Recommended

Okay, so a quick update.

1) USB-C cable from laptop to phone: data works just fine, I can connect to and transfer files to the phone from File Explorer.

2) USB-C cable from laptop to USB-C hub, and then hub to phone; Charges phone, but no data connection.

Is this some kind of USB firmware or BIOS bug? When I plug it into my friend's Carbon X1 with the same cable, it charges fine.

HP Recommended

@ntw3450

Thanks for the response.

That was the right way to diagnose. 🙂 As you said, if your friend's phone is working fine, we can narrow it down to your phone.

In this case, You may try updating your phone, and then try connecting it.

Let me know. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Oh, sorry if it was unclear; I charged my phone from her X1 Carbon, which is a Lenovo laptop. So the phone did not have a problem charging from another laptop, which is why I think it's problem with the Spectre rather than the S8.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.