Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have compaq presario cq62 model of laptop. I bought my laptop before 18 months ago. Laptop was working fine till now. But now its cd/ dvd rom drive keeps opening automaticaly by itself. I push it but after a few seconds it opensback. I have installed quick heal internet security & tune up utilities software in laptop. Whatcould be the problem? Plz help..
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello Hbhor0.  I understand that your optical drive is opening seemingly randomly.  Is this correct?

Strangely enough, this is a sign of a failing optical drive normally.  However, I'd like to make sure that the firmware for the drive is up-to-date.  In order to locate the latest firmware I'll need your product number.   This document can show you where it is located.  

You could also perform a hard reset.  This forces the hardware to re-initialize and can often times solve a wide variet of problems.  Try the following.

1. Shut down the notebook.
  2. Remove the battery and AC power.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds.
  4. Replace battery and AC power.
  5. Power on notebook and verify that the issue was resolved.
  6. Post the result.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply.  I hope you have a great weekend! Smiley Happy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply attackofzaq :). I tried to follow ur instruction but the problem is same. I bought this laptop befor 16 months ago, but I never used its cd/dvd rom drive. Now it suddenly gets open by itself during 1 to 5 minutes randomly. I can not understand which things are causing such problem. Should I replace the hardware or is there anything else that I can do? Thanks..:)
HP Recommended
Hello again Hbhor0. I do have another suggestion for you.

This sort of problem can also be caused by a virus or other malicious software. So, before trying any further steps you should scan your computer for these sorts of software. I suggest running Microsoft Security Essentials if you do not have an anti-virus currently (if you have an anti-virus do NOT install a second one). Also, you should run a program such as Malwarebytes to scan for malicious pieces of software which are not viruses.

Let me know the result of both of these tests; I will keep an eye out for your response! I hope you have a great day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended
Thanks again attackofzaq.
As I said I've installed Quick heal internet security in my laptop & everytime I do scan full system of my laptop by using it. But finally it says 'No viruses found'.
When I do run 'windows defender' program for malware & spyware, it say 'your computer is running normally'.
So, if I have quick heal internet security, I should not run 'microsoft security essential',should I?
Sir, seriously, this problem is really annoying me. I have been handling my laptop very carefully since I bought it.
Computer shop dealer suggests me to replace the hardware, this may solve the problem. It will? What after then if it doesn't get solved?
Does it get solve?
Plz reply..
Thank you..
HP Recommended

Hello Hbhor0.

I don't think you should install Microsoft Security Essentials in this case.  It seems as though you passed the malware/virus check.  

This problem is generally caused by either software such as malware or viruses or a mechanical failure.  So, it is likely that you are experiencing a hardware failure.  Due to the nature of the problem if you truly want to be certain it was a hardware failure you could recover the notebook to a known good operating state (factory conditions) and if the problem persists then you need to replace the drive.  This document covers the process if you'd like to be 100% certain.

I really believe you should look into a replacement part.  I can provide you with instructions and part number if you can provide me with your product number.  This document can show you where the number is located.  

If you didn't want to repair the notebook yourself you could contact HP Support directly to look into a repair.  If you're in the US/Canada you can give them a call at 1-800-474-6836.   If you live in another area you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide to locate your region's contact information.

I hope you find this information helpful; have a great day!

HP Recommended
Hello again attackofzaq.
As you said, I downloaded the trial version of malwarebytes & scanned my laptop. There were 8 infections found in file system/folders & system registry. They are some kind of pup,trojan,generic malware files. There are also some registry values. Should I remove them?
HP Recommended

Hello Hbhor0.  Sorry for my late reply; I have been out of my office. 

Yes, you should remove those threats, reboot your notebook, and then scan one more time to ensure that these aren't tenacious pieces of software.  After you verify that the infections are not going to come back then you should be able to confirm whether or not this solves your issue.  I'd say give it a day or so after cleaning the infection to know for sure.

I'll keep an eye out for the result.  Have a great week 🙂

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop. The CD tray randomly opens and the problem started with a BIOS update.  If I go back to the original BIOS version F.0A the tray stays closed. Every version since the initial release causes the CD tray to open randomly. I have tried BIOS versions F.13, F.22, F.23, F.28 and F.29.  If I go back to BIOS version F.0A the CD tray operates normally.

There have been many posts about viruses causing this issue or hardware problems. I firmly believe it is a BIOS related issue.

I hesitate to stay on an oudated BIOS, but that seems to be the solution.

Here are the links I am using for the BIOS versions.

Check for updates.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5273...

Old versions available under BIOS section.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/previousVersions?softwareitem=ob-115040-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4...

It is an annoying problem that I would like to get resolved as I am afraid the CD drive is ging to get damaged by picking upt the laptop when the tray is open.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks

HP Recommended

G_Anlik, have you come across any other solutions? I have confirmed that I don't have a virus or malware on my system, but I've been dealing with this issue for a very long time. I also have and issue where my left click stops working. Have you experienced that, too? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.