Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I can plug my laptop to power and for 24 hours it will remain at 0%. Any idea to how the charging IC can be changed on the motherboard 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

It's many times more likely to be the battery than the charging circuit on the motherboard. If it is the charging circuit, there may somewhere in the world be a technician who could replace it at the component level but the standard repair would be motherboard replacement. Have you run a diagnostic routine on the battery? The diagnostics will give an error code which will isolate either the battery, charger , or motherboard as the issue. 

HP Recommended

How do I run a diagnostic on the battery because the technician I met just told me it was the charging IC and not the battery 

HP Recommended

It may well be but I have no idea how he or she reached that conclusion. The diagnostics can be run in UEFI preboot. Hit the esc key as you power on then F2 for diagnostics and power. That is precisely what a competent technician would do but not all are really comptent. Its also possible the diagnostic app is not installed on your computer but may be available in Windows using HP Support Assistant or there is a bootable thumb drive image you can download to run diagnostics. 

HP Recommended

Ok I’ll try the first diagnosis suggestion and get back to you! Thanks for reaching out! 
However is there any way the charging IC could be replaced on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

I think I answered that in my first post. Not really. The fix is to replace the motherboard. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.