Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Stream 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi my gf bought an hp stream 14 refurbished from walmart in april 2020. She noticed it started smoking and making faint electrical zapping sounds so she unplugged the charger and it was smoking, half of the blue plastic on the charger was burnt off. It did the same thing with an extra charger she has. Is there any hope for an easy or cheap fix to this? Whats going on? And if it is fixable how much will she have to pay?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@skylar0629 

The whole computer might not be worth fixing if the electrical system is fried.

Looks like this model sells new for a bit over $260 to a little more than $300.

What does that mean?  There is not much inside the computer to start with and one end is burned.  You might need a new motherboard AND repair to the case.  Rats.

If the refurbished computer came with any HP warranty, you can certainly ask HP Support for any options.  I would guess, though, that there will be questions about the system, the original charger, the power supply (outlet tests).

If the system is not warranted, or if the damage is not covered, and assuming you have a really low deductible, you could try on your homeowners / renters insurance.

Best check that wall outlet, too...

What else?

Stomp over to Walmart and see if they will stand behind your crispy Stream system.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Reminder

HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.

HP Support USA does not post public phone numbers.

Many roads lead to HP Support.

Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent

OR

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

Regional Links

USA / Canada

HP® Customer Support - USA

UK

HP® Customer Support - UK

OR

>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<

HP on Facebook

Warranty Check / Product Registration

• Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards

Register HP Product and Registration FAQ

• Check the Warranty on your product

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document.  Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@skylar0629 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.