Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Chromebook 14 G4
Chrome OS

Ok I bought a refurbished lightly used Chromebook(14 G4) It has the full HD screen(1920x1080) w/ LED.I it has the N2940 processor w/ Intel hd graphics.  1.83GHz boost up to 2.25GHz (2mb cache and 4 cores.) 4gb ram (DDR3L-1600) GPU Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail) and so on. I'll provide more if needed/wanted. It seems to be a decent Chromebook. But is upgradable ?  I thought I read Max ram was 4gb. But most of these Chromebooks are not upgradable from what my very limited knowledge recalls!? (Idk). Can I atleast speed up the clock speed benchmark or whatever ? Last  Q what's a good way to update my driver's on Chrome O.S ? What's a good site/app ?  Thanks for any help - Ryan

P.S I clearly know little about computer sorry

P.S I clearly know little about computer sorry

Screenshot_20191114-192009~2.png

Screenshot_20191114-184650~2.png

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @ThatsTheSpirit ,

Unfortunately, Chromebooks are not upgradeable in terms of processor or "hard disk". You can add a high capacity micro media card to download files to, but that is about it. They can't be overclocked. The SSD is actually memory chips that are soldered onto the systemboard.

A Chromebook isn't really a notebook. It is actually a physical representation of a Google Chrome browser.  You can't update the drivers. All you can do is reinstall the Chrome OS if there is a more recent version available.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So like the above poster said there is no possible way to upgrade the memory, ssd, or cpu(no overclocking etc)  However you can dual boot linux and it ends up being pretty awesome notebook for emails, light programming, web browsing etc.  There were some quirks, like the top button bar had to be remapped to keys.  But it turns a pretty closed ecosystem into a highly customized notebook.  I got my cap locks key back for instance, and circular scrolling, which is neat.  You can do it in two ways.  You can boot to chrome(dev mode) and run it there or you can rewrite the firmware with a custom firmware.  I highly discourage the latter since you can brick your device and it takes high level computing skills to recover.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.