Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I FINALLY have a USB 3.0 device which I connected to my HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC. 

However, upon connecting to the SS USB 3.0 ports on the left side of my notebook, the system tray pops up a message indicating I need to connect to a USB 3.0 port for faster speed.  I thought I was connected to the USB 3.0 port.

I should also indicate Win7 Device Manager indicates all of my USB drivers are up to date.

Suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @JoeBalake,

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Open the Device Manager.
In the "Device Manager" window, click the + (plus sign) next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer.
If your USB port name contains "Universal Host", your port is version 1.1.
If the port name contains both "Universal Host" and "Enhanced Host", your port is version 2.0.
If the port name contains "USB 3.0", your port is version 3.0.

Refer this article to know more information about USB connection issues with the PC. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did as you suggested and do have the following in device manager:

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller

Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub

I also went to the link you suggested, but there was nothing to help solve a USB 3.0 port not connecting to a 3.0 device at 3.0 speeds.

I did delete the 3.0 devices and they were reinstalled on restart.   However this did not resolve the issue, which is I have a Galaxy s9 phone with USB 3 cable(at least the cable that came with the phone) and when I plug it into the USB SS 3.0 port, the system tray pops up a message that the device would work faster if plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

HP Recommended

How do I find the product number?  I don't see a sticker.

HP Recommended

Hi! @JoeBalake,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Refer this article to know more information about finding the product details. Click Here

Also, USB 3.0 computer ports are blue. USB 3.0 cables are either marked blue OR have initials SS on the female connector end of the 3.0 cable. Make sure your connection is right.

Try the steps recommended below.

From Start, select Control Panel, and then select Troubleshooting. Look through the list for the troubleshooter that addresses your issue.

The problem could be with your USB cable. If the cable was originally designed for USB 1.1 devices, it may not work properly at USB 3.0 speeds. It may also just be a faulty cable – when it doubt, try swapping the cable.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product  A5F92AV

Model     DV7T-7000

Ser#      2CE315130Mimage.pngimage.png

HP Recommended

Hi! @zgwstores,

Thanks for sharing the product details. I have checked the product details the laptop was shipped with USB 3.0 (3 ports) and USB 2.0 (1 port)

If you have connected a USB 3.0 device to a USB 3.0 port, the problem may be that you have used a USB 2.0 cable. USB 3 cables differ from USB 2 cables and have 5 extra pins. A USB 3 device will connect and run in a USB 2 port because it will only use the 4 USB 2.0 compatible pins.
USB 3.0 cables normally are embossed with an 'SS' logo on the connector.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Try performing a system restore to the date when the devices were functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system restore. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.