Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Over the course of the last couple of days, I have noticed a clicking or chirping noise coming from my Envy.  It is a regular clicking/chirping noise that sounds like it is coming from the front left of the computer on the keyboard half of the laptop, though it's very hard to pinpoint.  It almost sounds like a chirp you might get from a speaker when there is interference.  However, the speakers are muted, and this sound has occurred in many different settings and locations, so interference would not be a consistent source.

Any thoughts on this?  Possible impending drive failure?  Something else?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some help or insight.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JWK1969 

As you have already surmised, clicking sounds in laptop very often indicate a failing hard drive -- but your series laptops do not all come with hard drives.  Some only have an SSD, and that is not, of course, going to make any noise.

You can either look for the drive yourself or post the actual model number and we can see if there are sufficiently details specs for that which tell us if your model has a hard drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@wawood, thanks for your note.  Per specs I found online, my machine has an SSD.  So it is unlikely that the drive is making the noise, since they do not have moving parts.  That's a bit of a relief, of course, as I'm not at risk of losing everything.  But it does allow the mystery to continue.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.