Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-f387wm (Touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My under-warranty HP Notebook - 15-f387wm (Touch) (ENERGY STAR) started making a clicking noise from the front right corner where the hard drive is located.  The laptop usually freezes when this happens.  It occurs randomly, there is no discernible pattern.  The clicking even continues when the display is closed. 

Call to HP Support resulted in our running the internal diagnostic programs which reported no hard drive problems.

Note: when going to the Storage section of the internal diagnostic program the first problem listed is "clicking or grinding noise" so HP knows there is a problem!

HP said send it in, sent me a package, I did.  It came back with a report that it had been repaired.  The HP Repair Details report says:  "Repaired (The problem was duplicated during full diagnostics)" and " Defective Commodity... Battery: Not same as expected. Reinstall Battery."

The clicking has returned, clearly from the front right corner where the hard drive is, not the battery.  

Here's what it sounds like:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7kOetcz6uRrdHJncmM5aUdKY28

HP is supposed to be sending me an email asking how the repair went; I'm waiting for that.  But.  So what?  Do I send it in again when in my opinion it is clear that HP knows that the problem is the hard drive but reported a "repair" by reinstalling the battery?  

Several years ago to get everything to work I got rid of my mix of devices from different companies and replaced everything with HP products so they would all work together.  That included a desktop, laptop, printer and mouse.  That part went well until now.  Now it looks like the laptop is headed for a hard drive failure.  ( Internet chatter suggests that the problem is the hard drive read-write arm is getting stuck.) (It just started clicking again, and then stopped.)  

Is there any reason to ask HP to try again?  Or better to just dump it, change companies again, and file complaints with the appropriate consumer protection agencies if I cannot decide that HP is trying in good faith to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The noise you posted was not software but read heads can come unstuck if you tap the drive just right sometimes. Rarely permanently fixed. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

That is a hard drive noise. Personally I would contact them and see if they will not send me a replacement hard drive and do the work myself. How you choose to handle it is your own business. 

HP Recommended

Update:  Called HP.  Starting over.  They offered to send another box for me to send it in again.  I've said this time I do not want to pay shipping and I want it sent air instead of ground since I was without the computer for two weeks and HP did not come close to repairing it.  My request has been "sent up" and I will know tomorrow.  

I told HP that this is a well known problem that is being discussed widely on the internet including this board.   It smells like HP may know that it has many defective hard drives and has calibrated its customer service response to avoid replacing them.  The agents have both been pleasant.

HP Recommended

On this you are mistaken, my friend. HP does not make the hard drives. It uses hard drives made by multiple manufacturers. HP has no more issues with hard drive in its laptops than any other manufacturer, but all of them have lots of issues. It's just part of computing and is why you must back up. 

HP Recommended

Ah, I have no doubt that you are correct.  I meant only  to say that  HP knows that it has a lot of laptops out here with hard drive problems.  I'm not in the business but I have had a long history with computers.  My first was a Leading Edge dual floppy -- remember those? -- where you put the program in on one floppy and your data floppy in the other drive, and everything you did was in orange type on a black screen.  I had the first IBM ThinknPad sold in my town (Wow, I wish I'd held onto that).   I just want to get this one fixed and hope HP will take this seriously on this second attempt.

HP Recommended

I get frustrated with Warranty Support and often just take the bull by the horns. On something like a hard drive which I can buy for $50-60 I would consider just buying one and fixing it myself and save the warranty for stuff like a dead screen or motherboard. But you certainly have a right to see that HP honors its contract. 

HP Recommended

HELP.  The clicking seems to have stopped.  Could it be software?

Preparing to send the laptop back to HP for the second time I moved everything  personal to my clouds, and deleted several programs that contained personal stuff (eg, Dashlane, Chrome, Eraser, Google Drive, Amersoft Video Converter...).  Then using Eraser I erased unused space.   I'm using Edge online right now.

The clicking has not started up.  I'm going to leasve the machine awake to see if it does.

I'm not a technical person.  So.  Is this possible?  Could there have been some software or software conflict causing the hard drive to click and freeze up randomly (the clicks unquestionably come from that front right corner where the HD is located).

Thanks!

HP Recommended

The noise you posted was not software but read heads can come unstuck if you tap the drive just right sometimes. Rarely permanently fixed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.