Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-gw0041ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP laptop 15-gw0041ur with 8 Gb RAM and two graphics adapter: Radeon RX Vega 3 integrated in CPU and discrete Radeon 620.

Radeon 620 have own dedicated memory 2 Gb GDDR5. Vega 3 use system memory, by default it use 2 Gb from RAM so OS and apps can use only 6 Gb RAM.

I am very disappointed that HP does not allow to change UMA frame buffer size in BIOS. In fact HP cheats with amount of RAM in this laptop.

Despite how much is installed, it is only important how much can be used. For example, we all know that there is an area in ssd that is used for remapping and the actual amount of ssd is always greater than that which is available for use. at the same time, it would not occur to the manufacturer of ssd to indicate on the packaging the volume, taking into account the service area.

I am currently considering returning the laptop back to the store as non-compliant to it's specification.
Also I have some questions that I would like to get an answer from HP:
1.Is it possible with the current version of BIOS F.12 Rev.A to somehow change the amount of memory used by the vega 3 graphics adapter? Perhaps there are non-public methods or, for example, it can be done in HP service center?
2. Are there any plans for HP to add the ability to change the UMA frame in the future BIOS versions? If so, please tell when.
3. If I install 16 GB RAM instead of 8 GB, how much will be actually available for the OS for applications? Where I can get memory compatibility matrix (size, ranks, frequency etc) of HP part number for this laptop?

4. Is it possible to completely disable vega 3 graphics and use only discrete Radeon 620? In such case how much memory will be usable for OS and apps?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@al-so, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Please find the Maintenance and Service Guide for your HP Laptop - 15-gw0041ur And use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi.

When try to access maintenance and service guide I have error: "Access denied. You do not have sufficient permission to view this page."

At part surfer I tried to search by laptop p/n and had this:

"

Serial Number : 15-gw0041ur   RoHS Status : NULL  

No additional information for 15-gw0041ur  found in PartSurfer. Please read the hints below, and try again.

"

For 4 questions that I asked, you tried to answer one and could not do it. Let's try one more time.

HP Recommended

Greetings! 

  

This message is from the HP Support team, 

  

Just needed to know if all your queries were resolved? 

  

If not, I could help you get there. 

  

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post. 

  

Have a great day ahead! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.