Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

When I plug in to the outlet and switch on mains power the indicator led on the side of the laptop did not light up and the connected indicator on the screen was not showing. I presumed a blown fuse in the mains adaptor which I changed and all power up correctly, the indicators came on and the laptop worked fine and the battery charged correctly. The following day the same happened again I changed the fuse and all was well and I decided that I needed a new power adaptor but…..

I checked the blown fuses with a multi meter and discovered that they had not blown. The next time I connected to a power outlet I had the same missing indicator so I removed the fuse from the mains plug then I put the exact same fuse back into the plug, powered up all correct. This process has happened quite a few time in the past weeks I also tried the tip seen here and elsewhere of removing the battery restarting, powering down and replacing the battery, although this cleared the issue for that one time only it soon returned.

This whole process is confusing and seems completely illogical. Has anyone else experienced this and can you provide any advice.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

My best guess is a faulty Battery/PC and the adapter is shutting down as a safety precaution.

The disconnection etc resets the adapter.

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).
AND/OR
HOW DO I USE DIAGNOSTICS?

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows is a Windows-based utility that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine if the computer hardware is functioning properly. The tool runs within the Windows operating system in order to diagnose hardware failures. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows comes pre-installed on new HP computers, but if not on yours, download here:-
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

BatTest.png

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice Lil_Boy_Blue, am currently slaving away at the day job but will try this evening.

HP Recommended

Hi, tried the suggestions but with no joy. All test passed correctly. Thanks for the advice, more head scratching at my end

Thsnks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.