Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
AdamZX Top Student
Top Student
3 0 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Control Zone touchpad not working properly Hp Envy m6 n010dx

Hp Envy m6 n010dx
Windows 8.1

I bought this laptop 4 hours ago. Within 20 minutes of me setting it up, I began have alot of issues with the touchpad. I tried installing the newest drivers, troubleshooting, and all of the other stuff that has been reccomended to other people and Im still having this issues. I did abit of research, and it seems that almost everyone with a control zone touchpad is having alot of issues. Is there any way to fix it? And when will HP acknowledge the fact that this touchpad needs to be fixed, and do something about it?

6 REPLIES
Regents Professor Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4321 441 1080
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like you are facing difficulties with the Touchpad of your Notebook
We will surely assist you with this

Steps to drain the Static charge and loading default BIOS settings to resolve the issue
Step 01. Turn OFF the Notebook

Step 02. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 03. Press and Hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 04. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 05. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 06. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F5 Key to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 07. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 08. Now please wait till the Unit loads the Windows Operating system

Now please re-install the touchpad drivers from HP Website in order to resolve the issue

Note: After performing all the above shown steps if you still have the same issue that could be a hardware issue and I strongly recommend you to get the Notebook replaced as its brand new. You have a 30 days time from the bill/invoice date to get your unit replaced either from HP directly or from the point of purchase where you bought it from.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K N R K
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP
I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
AdamZX Top Student
Top Student
3 0 2
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This solution worked for about 10 minutes, then it stoped working again. So I went and got it replaced, and this new one is still having the same exact issue. I then decided to do abit more research and it seems like almost every laptop that has the control zone touchpad is having major issues.  Alot of these complaints date back to as early as july. Is HP working on a way to fix this? Because everything else on this laptop is excellent! I really dont want to get a different one.

UniSonBBS Tutor
Tutor
4 0 3
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased the same laptop about a month ago and these issues started happening about a week ago.  Its plastered all over the internet (and I was aware of the issues before buying).  I purchased the laptop anyways in hopes mine wouldn't do it and it does.  Drives me crazy to the point I have to use a external mouse with my laptop.  HP is well aware of the issue without a true fix, and dont expect one.

hollydee Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I m also acing the Same problem, I got the product 07/02/2015 and from the day I bought it I have been having issues with the touchpad, please this has to be fixed urgently its really disturbing and alarming.
I even switched my O.S to Linux (Ubuntu) few days ago and it was even worse on it
0 Kudos
Ineedatrashcan Tutor
Tutor
5 0 4
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I posted this elsewhere, but this was the problem on my daughter's M6 Envy N010x. This was a 100% fix. I have been in the electronics business for 40 years and have seen this type of problem many times. I suspect it will fix most uses complaints - if not all- who have similar problems. They were bad for me but as soon as I rebooted, the trackpad was simply buttery smooth and accurate all the time:

Disassemble your laptop and look at the touchpad assembly. You have to at least take the MB out. There are two rectangular cutouts in the center of the assembly frame where you can see the circuit board. There are two copper pads, one on each area of the circuit board  under the cutouts. Those pads must be grounded to the frame with conductive tape.

My daughter gave me her laptop to fix and after reading all the forums and doing lots of testing, I had a really good hunch that it was a capacitance/grounding problem and when I took it apart there was no grounding tape on the left pad. I put some on and the touchpad works flawlessly now.

If I could post a picture I would, but if you go onto ebay and look at some of the images, you can see the leftmost pad and grounding tape very easily. The right side has a plastic film over it but you can see the edge of the pad, just the same

0 Kudos
miken777 Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello to all who are having problems with this touchpad:  I can report that I have SOLVED this hardware problem with the following fix:  I opened the case, removed the motherboard and removed ALL grounding from the touchpad, including grounding from the touchpad bar which depresses the mouse button.  This solved all of my problems with the touchpad, which were not solved by any amount of driver upgrading or feature disabling.  This is a hardware issue related to the apparent oversensitivity of this touchpad to interference from the grounding strips.  

Q:  Does removing the grounding strips negatively affect touchpad performance?

A:  No.  Performance is completely normal and has not degraded at all over a period of 3 months.  

Q:  Did you also do other driver upgrades?

A:  No.  This is the stock driver which installed automatically with windows when it updated.

Q:  What other fixes did you try?

A:  Just the driver "fixes" which never worked.  I finally disabled the touchpad.  Needing its functionality after a motherboard fix, I reconnected it and suffered the same old problems after a few minutes of use, even after cleaning the touchpad with solvents and making sure there was no residue, and reconnecting both pads with the grounding strips.  Upon a second teardown I made the above fixes and saw immediate and permanent cessation of trouble.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation