Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi All, Win 7 Pro. When I turn the power on the fan switches to lo speed and stays there. When I power off the fan turns on hi speed and stays there. In both cases the battery is in and its getting plug power. Removing the battery makes no difference. Removing battery and unplugging causes the fan to finally go off. I spoke to HP support they said update the bios. I did and it nothing changed; problem remains as before. Not under warranty. Laptop is 1.5 yrs old and the problem started about 5 days ago. Up until then the fan was working normally.

Now I have to unplug and take out the battery every night in order to turn off the fan. Not good.

Any ideas how to fix this? I did some google searches and didn't find and relevant solutions. Thanks!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So, if I understand correctly the fan is spinning at high speed when the power is off but the laptop is plugged in the wall and battery installed? You have to pull battery and AC plug to get fan to stop? Not good. Sounds like a motherboard issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

So, if I understand correctly the fan is spinning at high speed when the power is off but the laptop is plugged in the wall and battery installed? You have to pull battery and AC plug to get fan to stop? Not good. Sounds like a motherboard issue.

HP Recommended
Your understanding is correct. Thanks, That's what I thought also. We'll explore replacing the motherboard. Cheers, Advait
HP Recommended

Hello GBL84,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I turned off the laptop, took out the battery, waited 3 minutes, put the battery back in and turned on the laptop.

Now the battery charging works fine! I'm back at 100% charge.

I was very happy that this simple trick worked.

Thanks again for your reply. Kind Regards,

Advait

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.