Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I got my HP ENVY 15t-q100 CTO Notebook PC in September, 2014. It has Windows 8.1, 64-bit. For the first few weeks of use, I did not have any issues. Then, I started having more occurences of cursor/touchpad issues to the point where it happens every hour of use (not an external mouse issue):

Jumps around on screen (a few millimeters to inches). 

Move incrementally on its own without me anywhere near the laptop (generally spazzes to the left). 

Not allow scrolling/normal touchpad functions when issues are occuring. 

Functions as if I am holding down the click button while I try to move it - most frustrating part when I am doing important work. 

Randomly click stuff as I attempt to move it. 

Here is what I have tried to do to fix it and has not worked:

Roll back driver (didn't work). 

Update driver (no updates available). 

Reset device (works for a minute or so). 

Restart (I do this daily anyway). 

Reduce cursor speed and other mouse options suggested online. 

I have seen similar issues for the HP Envy 17 and other notebooks, but no actual fixes have been proposed. Please help me with this issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In January 2015 I received via mail, a brand new Envy 15t-q100 purchased from the official HP website. Both packaging and laptop arrived mint(cosmetically speaking). With that being said, I had experienced the exact symptoms described in this thread since day one. With an alternate synaptics driver, I was able to stabilize the mouse enough to effectively utilize the "pressure graph" tool. I then determined that this was indeed a hardware problem. I noticed that from time to time, the "animated tray icon" would indicate that pressure was being applied even when I wasn't touching the laptop. If I applied counter pressure by pressing or wiggling on the base of the palmrest, the pressure indication would cease and use of the mouse would return to normal. However, this problem gradually went from bad to worse and eventually the track pad failed all together. Firmware and BIOS reflashing was helping before, but was no longer changing anything.  I debated on sending it back to HP for warranty repair, but after having to wait a month to get this unit in the first place in addition to reading all these horror stories of people getting back a semi destroyed unit and still struggling with the same symptoms,  I was willing to tackle this myself. Sooo, I found a source for brand new replacement Envy "control zone" track pads. Ninety nine percent certain that I had defective track pad, I purchased P/N "761210-001" from ebay seller "parts_direct101" for $59.95. Upon disassembly, I discovered that one of the mounting screws for the track pad was loose (this may have contributed to the problem). I decided to replace track pad anyway. Finally. No more glitches. After months of experimenting and reading these forums, I now have a 100% functioning mouse! It has now been over 2 weeks since I've replaced the track pad and still no problems! I use my laptop 3-4 hours a daily. I am still using the alternate synaptics driver installed from "dpinst.exe" found in the "unzipped" x64 folder downloaded directly from the synaptics website. I haven't tried updating with windows update yet. Just happy to finally have a working mouse on this beast of a machine. I will keep you all posted if this problem ever returns. In regards to the ongoing lack of support aka automated generic responses from HP's "customer support team", I suspect HP has accidentally put out a bad batch of track pads and they simply cant "afford" the parts, labor, and logistics to issue a recall of this magnitude! Unfortunately this laptop must be completely disassembled to replace its track pad. I would NOT recommend this fix if you feel this is beyond your skill level. Instead call HP support and insist that you received a unit with a defective track pad. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi

Please find the link given below might help you to fix your issue. In case you have already tried the steps let me know.

Link

Try updating the Bios then update the update the driver.

Try performing a system restore to the date where unit was working fine.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

Updating the BIOS and driver manually like that seemed to fix the problem. For some reason, the sensitivity and movement of the cursor was different afterward, but I played with the mouse options and it seems mostly okay now. 

HP Recommended

Hi again. It looks like the exact same problem that was "solved" before, through the solution described, has returned. It only started happening after my recent 17 windows updates, so I am not sure which one could have caused it. I would rather not roll back to before all those updates were installed if there is a way to figure out which one could have affected my cursor. 

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I have the same issues. I have sent it back for repairs. Cam back a little better but the repairer destroyed the motherboard, ram and hdd. Now it's repaired once again the I'm still not impressed with this touchpad. Its very inaccurate, selects whatever it chooses. The repairer also slightly damaged the outer case. Is there a way of replacing this unit as repairs and and our local repairer have really ruined the quality of this laptop? Each time It's in for repairs I don't have this laptop for at least a month. :Crying:

HP Recommended

HI,

I have same device Hp envy 15t-q100 CTO Notebook PC

I've facing same problem.

Is there any replacing idea of this device beacuse whats the benifit of buying costly device.

What can i do???

Many people facing this problem having same type of device,

Pllzz reply me..

HP Recommended

Has there been a resolution to this issue yet? I've only had my laptop for just a little over a month. This is really aggrivating especially when its a VERY important task. HP Please resolve this issue.

Envy 15z-q100

Rev: 222D-100

HP Recommended

Hi @allforit ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I saw your post regarding the issue with your TouchPad and I will be happy to help. Here is an HP document Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad, there is a section called Adjusting TouchPad or ClickPad pointing sensitivities in Windows 8 that will show you how to adjust the sensitivity.

You can also look at reinstalling your Synaptics TouchPad Driver. You will find that on your Envy 15z-q100 driver page under Driver – Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried the 2 solutions you suggested. Putting a short delay on the touchpad did nothing because it's not an issue of me accidentally clicking on the touchpad when typing. The issue is when I am trying to use the touchpad and it slows down,  jumps all over the screen, or clicks on random things when I am trying to move the cursor on the screen.

I did reinstall my touchpad driver. However, the cursor is back to its regular, annoying antics. I would really appreciate a more permanent HP solution for this issue that seems to be happening for HP Envys regularly and that has persisted for almost as long as I've had the issue.

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue:

See my post here for an easy TEMPORARY fix.  I actually made a shortcut on my desktop to fix the issue whenever it happens.  I would suggest adding it to the taskbar so you can just click it whever it happens.  It fixes the problem IMMEDIATELY which is great... But that fact that I have to do it daily sometimes is frustrating.  You don't need to un-install the driver, just double click the reflash icon in the Synaptics folder.

I hope this helps you out, see my post for the temporary fix:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Touchpad-Issues-HP-ENVY-15t-q100-Needs-Reflashed-t...

HP...YOU ARE AWARE of this issue, it's been presented to you in multiple threads.  Forward it to your engineers and fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.