Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
The procedure worked for my dv4-1220us, thank you...
HP Recommended

Hi tdk & anion,

It seems like both of you have a lot of experiences in flashing a bios. I am so glad that there are some people like you who do not hesitate to help and share their knowledge and experiences.

Because of my strong trust to HP, I did not research about flashing a bios and its consequences. I just downloaded the file and followed their instructions on their site, but it eventually ruined my laptop. Now, I understand why there are a lot of people who hate HP products because of their incomplete and unsatisfied type of support.

Is that procedure applicable to my Compaq laptop CQ40-109TU? If not, do you have other solutions?

Here is the thread of my post: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/Failure-in-Flashing-the-BIOS-of-Compaq-Presario-CQ40-109TU/td-...

After trying a lot of troubleshooting, they suggested me to restore it to its previous working BIOS version F.12 (sp40749.exe), but I cannot find the right solution for my laptop on the web until now. They have solutions only for other laptop model.

I hope you have an idea or you know some post that experienced the same problem and having the same laptop model as mine.

Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Is it only the file 30F7.BIN shall be copied to USB thumb drive? How about the other files like InsydeFlash.exe, iFdPacker.exe, FlashTester.exe, etc.? Are they not needed anymore?

HP Recommended

I see CherylG has suggested flashing F.12 using the EFI inbuilt recovery system so in that case extract 30F7F12U.FD and rename it 30F7.BIN. No extra files are necessary on the USB thumb drive. You may want to use a UPS in case your living somewhere like the Philippines and are subject to power cuts or for anywhere else for that matter. When you flashed F.55 did the Windows flash utility make a backup of your old BIOS?

HP Recommended

No, it didn't. I cannot remember the message, but I think, it just ask me to restart the computer. So, I clicked ok. And suddenly that happens.

How can I power on the laptop if it doesn't turn on even if the AC adapter is connected and I hold down the "Windows" key and "B" key? Is it okay if I will charge my battery first using the laptop of my friend and use only my battery without AC adapter in flashing the BIOS?

Nice guess. You are right. I live here in the Philippines. Thanks for the immediate reply.

HP Recommended

If nothing has changed in the inbuilt recovery then it requires the battery to be disconnected and the laptop power supplied by just the AC adaptor. Sounds like there might be more to it than a bad BIOS flash.

Did you try removing the adapter, main battery and RTC battery, leaving it all disconnected for 5 minutes, then trying the AC adapter again?

HP Recommended

What is RTC battery? Is it the CMOS battery?

HP Recommended

Yes, the CMOS battery.

HP Recommended

Yes, I remove the AC adapter, the main battery, and the CMOS battery for 25 minutes. Then, I put back the CMOS battery, reconnect the AC adapter, and hold down the "Windows" key and the "B" key, and long press the power button several times, but still nothings happen. I guess, it is because the light that indicates if the AC adapter is connected to my laptop is off. It was functioning before, but after that BIOS update, it failed.

I think, it only happens to me. I cannot find on the web with the same situation as mine. What did the BIOS update do to the power system of my laptop? It only turns on if the main battery has charge.

Can you suggest me the other options that will not require me to change the motherboard? Will it be functioning again if I will restore the previous BIOS version? Can I perform the BIOS update with only the main battery and without connecting the AC adapter?

The warranty of my laptop was expired already. Changing the motherboard means buying a new laptop because of its high price.

I am begging to all the genius here. Please help me. Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

Do you have a USB thumbdrive that you can use to boot to DOS?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.