Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi All, 

Currently I'm having issues with my HP DV6 notebook when turning it on I am experiencing issues whereby the Num Lock and Caps Lock Lights are flashing and the screen is remaining blank the Sound, WIFI and Volume controls are all showing as orange I am having to take the battery out wait two minutes before trying to reboot the laptop when it works again, this issue is happening intermittently

Thanks,

Chris

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

See if you can match the pattern of the 'blinks' to those shown on the table below - this may atleast give you a better idea of what the problem is.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks DP-K

Naturally now I've asked the device won't flash and boots normally!!

Will have a look at your list next time it occurs

Thanks

Chris
HP Recommended

Hi Chris,

One thing you could try, before or after, if the problem re=occurs is to shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and remove the battery ( as you have done ) and then hold down the power button for a full minute to dispel any residual charge from the MB.  Then re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if this has helped.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Same prob here, diagram indicates the CPU is non functional... Yipes!!!
HP Recommended

My DV-6 exibits the same symptoms--no post info on screen; Caps lock blinks steadily every 2 seconds. Lights come on, fan comes on, that's it.  Looking at the chart, based on observed symptoms, it looks like cpu or bios related; however, I can't tell as there is not a number of blinks, unless this is just one blink continuously.  Any more information or ideas for diagnosis would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Bob R.

HP Recommended

I too, am having the same symtoms. I'm so feedup with HP. I bought my DV6 3019WM and it failed with what I guess was the same problem. I went through the phone tech's steps to see if we could get it going. We couldn't, and it was still under warranty so it was sent in for warranty repair. I got it back, it worked, for a while. Just before the warranty ran out on the warranty repair, there was a time or two it didn't boot correctly. When I saw that there was definitely another (the same) problem, they wanted me to pay to have it repaired, for obviously the same problem that was never taken care of in the first place. A reputable company (the old HP maybe ?), would be about satisfying the customer by admitting their failure and doing (within reason) whatever it took to correct the situation...instead of trying to make more money from their failure/poor equipment.

I'll take the hit on this one, but it's so sad to see HP go from the top of the heap in electronics equipment a few decades ago, to what they are now. I'm an old guy and HP was always one of those rock-solid, best-of-the-best companies you knew put out the absolute best product out there, and stood behind their products because they had pride in knowing they made the best. It appears they've become yet another one in the 'the bottom line is the only thing that matters' gang. You obviously have to make a profit, but if you only get a customer once and then they go to your competition, well, you get the picture.

I guess I'll call that one a loss and use it for target practice. Tired of wasting my increasingly precious time!

This MacBook Pro has never missed a beat though!

Ah HP...what might have been.

BTW - I was able to get mine to boot a couple of times, the last two times it would boot, by doing the 'Fn + F4.'

That no longer works though.

HP Recommended

For those who have experienced these symptoms, I will describe my solution.  In my case, there was nothing I could have done to fix the machine.  The video processor (GPU) was fried from heat build-up.  I found a repair shop in Tucson, AZ that specializes in gpu replacement and you get a good cleaning as well.  The repair on two of my machines (a DV7 and a DV6) replaced the ATI Radeon HD-3200 gpu for a cost of $80--a bargain, since it involves the part and a complete teardown of the machine, and a thorough cleaning along the way.  Also included was serious diagnostics and a cost-free diagnosis and estimate for repair. 

The shop has an HP/Dell certified technician who is A+ and Microsoft certified as well.  They know what they are doing.  Communications via e-mail were timely and "in English."  The only down side to this is that you have to ship your laptop to them and you will be charged for return shipping, which adds about $40.  The bill for the DV7 repair plus return was $108, plus the cost for my shipping, which was about $20.  So, for $128, I now have a laptop that is working perfectly. 

Your experience might be diffent from mine; but I am completely satisfied and heartily endorse Tucson PC Repair.  Getting a free estimate is probably worth the shipping cost, particularly if it is/was an expensive laptop like the DV series.  I have used this service three times now, with excellent results.  Go to TucsonPCrepair.com for more information. 

I hope this helps.  These symptoms are very common, given the fact that laptop cases are getting smaller and smaller and gpu's are getting more powerful and develop more and more heat.  It makes sense to blow out that dust regularly.

*NOTE TO ALL LAPTOP USERS--blow out the fan ports often with canned air, at least once every several months.  This will help to keep the heat disipation at a maximum. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, It is some good info, I'll probably get in touch with the folks in Tuscon to find out what they think about my PC issues.....

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Really need some help / advice for the below issue in my PC.

I am having a HP Pavilion dv6-6011tx Entertainment Notebook PC & the OS is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Edition. 

I have re-installed the OS and Drivers again. Now all the functions are working properly except 2 functions.

The issue is on the Caps lock key & Num lock key indicator. once i press these 2 buttons the indicator not display on the screen ( Right hand side bottom ).

Please Help.

Please email your answers - ramesh.maladeniya@gmail.com

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.