Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6T-7000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Battery won’t charge, battery tests OK, Adapter tests OK

Several weeks ago, my wife’s Pavilion DV6T-7000 started “acting funny”.  She would find it shut down upon it awaking from going to sleep, and have to restart it.  I noted that the battery was very low upon restarting (even though she keeps it plugged in).  The battery charged up fine.

A day later, after going to sleep, the battery went low again, and she could not restart the machine.  The power light on the left edge was NOT lit, even though the AC adaptor was plugged in and receiving power.  I unplugged the HP-supplied 120 watt power adaptor.

I ALSO own a Pavilion DV6Z-7000.  It uses the same battery, and was supplied with a 90 watt power adaptor.

BOTH computers were successfully updated to Windows 10 Home Edition.

I plugged my 90 watt adaptor into her unit and THE POWER LIGHT CAME ON.  The battery, however, did not charge (it was at 10%), even though the power light was orange (which implies charging) and the Windows 10 tray icon indicated it WAS charging.   Over several hours, running plugged in, the battery charge percentage never increased.  I removed the partially charged (85%) battery from my DV6Z-7000 and installed it into the DV6T-7000, and it still would not charge (even though the power light was orange, which implies charging, and the tray icon indicated it WAS charging). 

Upon removing the 90 watt power adaptor, the unit continued to operate on battery.  I powerd off the computer and I switched the 90 watt power adaptor back to the 120 watt adaptor, and the power light never lit.  The DV6T-7000 unit would not start when plugged in.

I then used the DV6T-7000 battery in my DV6Z-7000, and used the 120 watt power adaptor.  My DV6Z-7000 started, and the battery charged from 10% all the way back to 100%. 

I switched batteries back, and found my DV6Z-7000 operated and charged just fine.

So both batteries and both power adaptors work on my DV6Z-7000, but only my 90 power adaptor will operate her DV6T-7000, although it will not charge the battery (even though the power/charge light is orange and Windows 10 indicates “Plugged in-Charging”). 

I used the HP UEFI Hardware Diagnostics tool on her DV6T-7000 test the battery, and then 90 watt power adaptor.  Running on battery, with the charge light orange, the Battery tests OK, the 90 watt power adaptor fails.  If I shut down and unplug the 90 watt power adaptor and plug it back in, the power light turns white, and rerun the UEFI tests, the battery fails, and the adaptor tests OK.

I used the HP UEFI tool on my DV6Z-7000 to test BOTH batteries and power adaptors.  They all test “OK”.

I believe both batteries and power adaptors are good.

I have tried ALL the suggestions here on the forum (remove-reinstall battery drivers, hold down power button for 30+ seconds with battery removed, and others), EXCEPT reflashing the DV6T-700 Bios (which is  UEFI: Insyde F.2 08/04/2014).  An updated BIOS F.2E Rev A, 9/9/2016) is available on the HP website.

Will updating the BIOS correct the power issue with my wife’s DV6T-7000, or do I have an on-board hardware failure???

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @turbguy,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer where the battery is not charging after upgrading the OS to Windows 10 and you have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for describing the issue and the tried steps in such good detail. 

May I know the exact product number of your computer? Click here for assistance. Please do not share the serial number of your computer.

Recommend you to uninstall the battery controller again by following the procedure mentioned below. 

Shut down the computer. 

Disconnect the battery and the power adapter. 

Wait for a minute. 

Connect only the power adapter and power on your computer. 

Once the computer boots to the desktop. 

Open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Uninstall   Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Please delete the driver when prompted and restart your computer couple times. 

Shut down the computer. 

Install the battery and power on your computer and check if this resolves the issue. 

When I check the drivers for your computer on www.hp.com/drivers drivers are not available for Windows 10. 

Alternately, you can use HP Support Assistant to update the drivers on your computer. Click here

Sometimes BIOS update might help resolve power or battery related issues. Please go through the BIOS update fixes mentioned on the update page. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanx for your response!

The computer product number is A3E82AV

I have followed the steps you suggested:

Recommend you to uninstall the battery controller again by following the procedure mentioned below. 

Shut down the computer. 

Disconnect the battery and the power adapter. 

Wait for a minute. 

Connect only the power adapter and power on your computer. 

Once the computer boots to the desktop. 

Open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Uninstall   Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Please delete the driver when prompted and restart your computer couple times. 

Shut down the computer. 

Install the battery and power on your computer and check if this resolves the issue. 

The problem still remains.  The power light glows orange (implying charging) but the battery percentage never increases.

Here's a screen shot of the HOP assistant Battery Check:Clipboard01.jpg

As you can see, there is no current going into  a good battery.  AND the windows icon shows "22% available, plugged in charging".  BUT it is NOT charging!  After an overnight rest shut down (with the power light glowing orange)  and restarted,  it STILL showsw 22%.

Device Manager does not report any missing drivers, all devices are OK.

Any further suggestions?

Would updating the Bios as mentioned in my first post cause issues running Windows 10???

Would it even solve the problem (which appeared MONTHS after upgrading from Wondows 7 to Windows 10)?

HP Recommended

Here's a better image of the Battery Test details:

Clipboard01.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.