Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
DV7-6b51ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a legacy laptop tht lost the use of its USB 3.0 ports after a Windows 10 update. I've seen various 'fixes' or suggestions online with regards to the Renesas 3.0 Driver but can't coax anything from them at all? Any ideas what I can do. Would moving back to Windows 7 or 8.1 fix the issue. Is it possible the ports could physically fail? Is there a way I could check from outside Windows? I see no USB options in the BIOS to turn on and off. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Clarkyboy
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Let's try these steps: "Driver Rollback"

• On your, Key Board press Windows key + X 
  • Press M to open Device Manager 
  • Expand Universal serial bus controller
  • Right-click on the Intel  
  • Click Properties 
  • Click on the Driver tab 
  • Click on Rollback driver if the option is available

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There is no rollback option. If I uninstall the current driver, it automatically re-installs it. They appear in Device Manager but there is no function from either USB 3.0  port. 

HP Recommended

@Clarkyboy
Thank you for posting back. 

Next, let's test the hardware:

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

4. The Component Tests menu displays.

Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Sample List of the Component tests

5. Click and run the USB port test. When a test is complete, the results display on the screen.

And, also run Microsoft easy fix solutions: Microsoft provides a web-based automatic diagnostic and repair application. Go to the How to use Microsoft easy fix solutions webpage (in English) and select the troubleshooter that most closely matches your issue. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't have those options in Startup. No ability to test USB. 

HP Recommended

@Clarkyboy

Let's try Microsoft System Restore: If the USB device was previously working, then subsequently became unusable, try Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time prior to when the device failed. Refer to Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎 for more information. 

Keep me posted!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The situation was a hard drive failed with Windows 7 64 bit. I acquired a new drive and updated the OS to Windows 10. The USB 3.0 stopped functioning altogether. I have recently tried to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 but my product key on the bottom of the laptop is worn. I have purchased a new key to allow updates to 8.1 Pro but at the moment there is still no USB 3.0. 

HP Recommended

@Clarkyboy
Thank you for posting back. 

This sounds like operating system glitch as system OS is upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. 

I would suggest reinstalling the original operating system which came with the computer will isolate the failure. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205 to Use the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks but the HP Cloud Recovery Tool only works with machines from 2016. This laptop is older. I will have to find a version of Windows 7 64 Bit and hope that my Windows 8.1 Pro key works with it. There is no sign of these USB 3.0 ports working yet on 8.1.  There seems to be some confusion which are the right drivers with some solutions on HP pointing at AMD Catalyst Control driver providing the USB 3.0 driver, rather than Renesas USB 3.0.

HP Recommended

@Clarkyboy
I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.