cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
9 5 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Dash Key

HP Recommended
HP15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I upgraded to Windows 10 and when the last updated version was installed I began to have problems with the "dash" key. It would just start running through my documents without me even touching the key. This went on for a while. After several troubleshooting moments with Microsoft and the problem still existed, it was decided to downgrade back to Windows 8.1. I did so and had no problems with the "dash" key for over a month; that is the length of time since I downgraded.  Until Thursday, 8/16/18. I called Microsoft support and the tech did something that I thought worked. Until yesterday, 8/18/18 when the "dash" did the same thing again.  What it does is: the dash just continuously run straight through the document, it even does it when I am in a browser. It runs through the search window.  When this happens I hit the dash key once or twice and it stops. Then I delete the dashes in document.  Then after a while the same thing happens again.  The dash key is not stuck, nor is it stiff.  It is like all the other keys on the board. Normal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this occurs and is it a hardware or software problem?  Help! Other than that my computer works very well with no problems.

Thanks in advance for feedback

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,116 2,597 3,904
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@missauga1

Welcome to HP Forums,

Let's get straight to it, shall we..

Since the issue is limited to the "dash" key alone, I recommend you try with an alternate or external keyboard to check if that works fine while using the same key:

• If that doesn't either, I suggest reinstalling the keyboard drivers using the device manager, if the issue persists, update the BIOS and the Chipset drivers using the HP website:click here to find and install the same.

• If that works while the internal doesn't, please refer to my private message for further assistance.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

If you would like to thank us for our efforts, you may click on kudos (the thumbs up button)

And If you wish to help the community grow, mark this post as an accepted solution.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation