Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb0050nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

While using my laptop today it randomly powered down and there were no lights and it would not power back on. I looked on the forums here and saw that I could remove the battery to reset it and power it back on. I removed the battery plugged the power cord in and turned it back on. It lit up and started its boot, right before it got Windows up it started smoking on the mainboard, I pulled the power cord quickly but it will not turn on at all now and there are some visible burn marks on the board. This laptop was bought in Feb of 2020 and is using the RTX2080. I really dont want to trash it as it was a very good laptop, is there anything that can be done to repair the board?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Update.. After sitting for a bit I hit the power button and it lit up for a few seconds but then shut back down again almost right away. The battery was in during this.

HP Recommended

@speedaemonc4 

In all honesty -- NO.  No one I have ever heard of does motherboard repairs; they just replace them -- and with an HP laptop, that is a very difficult and expensive process -- usually costing more than simply replacing the laptop.  And then, since the installed Windows version is tied to the old motherboard, you have to buy a new version with a new license -- an additional expense.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.