Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
anniegc Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead motherboard Hp envy 15 Touchsmart Notebook

Hp Envy 15 Touchsmart Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My notebook suddenly froze up and refused to reboot. The battery and power are still fine. I had a few blue screens last week and the only way to restart the machine was to disonnect the power.
This morning the laptop starts and the wireless and caplock lights go on but the screen remains black and the laptop goes silent.
It seems according to some IT people that my motherboard is fried.
The laptop is 2yrs and 3 months old. Is there a possibility of replacing the motherboard and keeping/restoring my data and software?
1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14637 1021 1517
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead motherboard Hp envy 15 Touchsmart Notebook

Hi! @anniegc, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you have issues booting into your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with an external monitor do you get the display?

As you mentioned that you are unable to boot into your PC and you a get black screen on your PC and the IT techs told you that it was a bad system board.

If a PC suddenly fails to boot properly, you should perform a hard reset as the first procedure.

Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices and media cards. You want to test the computer, not the accessories!
Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds.
Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot no boot issues.

Also, as you mentioned you needed to know how to backup the data from your PC.

Since the unit is booting to a black screen, You have to remove the hard drive from your PC and connect it to a working computer and try backing up the data.

Or take your PC to any computer store they should help you in backing up the data.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! :)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation