67 60 2 0
Message 1 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Default setting for media and device on windows 10

hp
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello,

After installation of windows 10 on my laptop (and keeping also my previous windows 7), I can't play DVDs and CDs. I went to control panel and Autoplay to re-define how to play the medias, but that does not work. If I put a CD or a DVD, it is rejected. I don't know if it is a hardware trouble or if it is a problem of setting. My laptop is HP Envy 17-3270nr.

What can I do to solve that, please?

Henng
33 REPLIES 33
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4371
Message 2 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Download, save and install this latest HP UEFI hardware diagnostics: http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_uk/en/any/pps/pl_...

Then test your optical drive component from UEFI System Diagnostics - component test as described here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

One question:
"After installation of windows 10 on my laptop (and keeping also my previous windows 7)"

How did you achieve this?

Regards

Visruth
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
67 60 2 0
Message 3 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear  Visruth, I send you below the message I receive from this diagnosis :

Title: HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics DVD Image

Version: 2.23.0

Description: This package contains the HP Vision Hardware Diagnostics bootable DVD image for the supported models that are running a supported operating system.

Purpose: Routine

Category: Diagnostic

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Language(s):

Global English

Enhancement/Fixes:

- Fixed DefectCodes.xml file in Portuguese Localization.

Prerequisites:

- You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.

IMAGE LOCATION: The DVD image is located in the following folder on your hard disk driver.

C:\SWSETUP\ISOs

Installation Instructions:

IMPORTANT: This package provides a master ISO image file of the HP Vision Diagnostics. From this ISO file, you can burn your own bootable DVD. A DVD (ISO) image is a large, single file, which must be "burned", not copied, onto a DVD. The DVD data is delivered as a single ISO image file (in the format .iso). Once this ISO image file is downloaded to your hard drive, it must be burned directly to a DVD, exactly as is. This is a large file (larger than 60 MB) and may take several minutes to download. Make sure you have enough space on your hard drive to store the image file. Burn the full ISO image onto a blank DVD using a DVD recorder/burner and any major DVD-burning software, such as Roxio (Adaptec) or Nero. Most common DVD-burning applications should have the ability to burn an ''image'' to DVD. The following procedure provides an example for creating a bootable data DVD from an ISO image file (using Roxio Software): 1. Insert a blank DVD into your DVD recorder/burner (the destination drive). 2. From the File menu, select Create DVD from DVD Image. 3. Select the image file (*.iso file) that you want to make into a DVD.

Note: HP Vision Diagnostics ISO image is located under C:\SWSETUP\ISOs

1. Click Open. The DVD Creation Setup dialog box is displayed. 5. If necessary, change the DVD Creation Setup settings. 6. Click OK. Use the following procedure to run the HP Vision Diagnostics: 1. Enable your system to boot from DVD. 2. Insert the bootable HP Vision Diagnostics DVD that you created into the DVD drive. 3. Shutdown and restart the computer, allowing it to boot from the DVD. 4. HP Vision Diagnostics automatically loads and runs.

Copyright © 2014 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4371
Message 4 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need the first one from the link I posted.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

Install this and restart system to run the component test.

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
67 60 2 0
Message 5 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help, Visruth,

I run several times the file SP78614.exe and restart the laptop. I do not notice anything particular. The computer continues to reject the DVDs. What is the next step, please?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4371
Message 6 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then test your optical drive component from UEFI System Diagnostics - component test as described here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Tap away F2 key as soon as you power on laptop to enter System Diagnostics.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
67 60 2 0
Message 7 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did these tests how you indicated. Unfortunately they fail in a few seconds to mention the failure of the primary battery. What I already knew. The internal battery was ordered but not installed yet. The test does not continue to go further.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4371
Message 8 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is there no component test - optical drive, that you can individually test?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
67 60 2 0
Message 9 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I did it, but it asked to insert the optical drive. Does the optical drive concern the DVD drive?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4371
Message 10 of 34
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes.

Insert DVD/CD

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation