Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (363 Views)

Device Descriptor request failed (error 43))

Product Name: HP Pavilion x2 - 10-n023dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Was trying to plug my Toshiba 1tb External hard drive in to retrieve music off it and it wont recognize the drive. Device manager revealed the yellow triangle and error message. It works on my wifes hp streambook and also my kids stream book both are running wondows 10 like mine.

I have tried nearly 10 different suggestions from google searches and have gotten nowhere. The only thing I couldnt try was turning off the usb in the power options, for some reason mine doesnt display that option. My notebook only has 1 usb port so I cant try a different port.

Any suggestions or fixes?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (327 Views)

Re: Device Descriptor request failed (error 43))

@Jerimiah

Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the external drive is detected on other devices or computers but not on your HP X2,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help, however, to help you with an accurate solution, I need a few more details:

When was the last time it worked or did it ever work on your computer? if it once did - did you try a system restore?

Did you check if other devices are being detected on your USB port?
if they are - Download the latest drivers of your Toshiba HDD and it should work.

If none of the other devices work on your USB port: Click here and follow the steps recommended to resolve the issue with the port.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (322 Views)

Thank you for the greeting and quick response.

The hdd never worked on this computer. It last worked on my msi laptop. The port works for everything else. There are no drivers available for the toshiba. I've looked every where I trust to download one from and came up blank.

It works on our 2 other HP laptops. All 3 are running Windows 10, the only real difference I see is my laptop only has 1 usb port, theirs have 3. Most boards have 2, I wonder if they are using the port for a WiFi or Bluetooth adapter and the mix up is there?????

Any help is extremely appreciated. This is driving me nuts.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (321 Views)

I've done a system restore and when that didn't work I upgraded to 10, that didn't work either. Windows sees the drive and tries to hook up to it but the error always comes back.
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 5 (302 Views)

@Jerimiah

Thank you for the detailed response,

I appreciate your time and efforts.

As you've mentioned your product has only one available USB port as per design: Click here to check your product specs for more details,

that said, if other devices are working fine and the issue continues on your Toshiba drive you might want to contact Toshiba,
And obtain the necessary drivers and software for your external drive in order for the computer to recognize the device connected.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation