Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did a clean install of windows 10 on my spectre x360, (also on a new ssd), now it only boots when legacy support is enabled, when i disable it it says that theres no os on my hard disk, how can i fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hold down the Windows key and press R

Into the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

In Device Manager, expand Disk drives, right click the ssd and select Properties - select the Volumes tab and then click the 'Populate' button.

What is listed as the Partition style?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Master boot record (MBR)

HP Recommended

Hi,

That does explain your issue - in order to boot in uefi mode with the CSM ( Legacy support ) disabled, the SSD would need to have a GUID partition table, not MBR.

You can change this as follows, however it will mean you'll need to install Windows 10 again.

Boot from your Windows 10 installation media.

Open a Command Prompt- Option 1

Enter the following, hitting return after each entry.

diskpart

list disk

Assuming there is only 1 hard drive installed then enter

select disk 0

clean

convert gpt

when done type exit and hit enter.

Boot into the Bios Menu and re-enable Secure Boot ( or just load the bios defaults ) - save this before exiting.

Insert the Windows 10 Installation Media and Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to enter the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Options Menu ( f9 ).

Use the arrow keys to highlight the CDROM (uefi) or USB Flash Drive ( uefi ) option, depending on which typre of media you're using, then hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....' - do so.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.