Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased two HP Pavilion laptops for our auction business. When the clerk is entering buyer information, they inadvertently graze the touchpad sending the cursor to weird places on the screen. I would like to disable the touchpads on these machine, but besides un-installing the touchpad from properties, there doesn't appear to be any way disable them.

I have watched lots of videos and read lots of FAQ's, but to no avail.

These are Synaptics Touchpads.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SuckerWitch,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Click Start , and then type mouse in the search field.

2. Click Change your mouse settings.

3. Click Additional mouse options.

Clicking on Additional mouse options

4. In Mouse Properties, click the Touchpad tab.

NOTE: 

Some HP Notebooks have an HP Control Zone tab. If your Notebook has this tab, open it and click HP Control Zone Disable.

5. Click Disable.

Clicking on Disable

6. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

mouse props.PNG

As you can see, those Touchpad Tabs are not visible on my screen. I have two identical laptops, both have the same exact screens. The only thing I can figure to do is to open the task manager and disable the Synaptics Touchpad from there. If you have a better way of doing it, I'm open to it.

Thanks,

SW

HP Recommended

@SuckerWitch,

You can disable the touchpad from the device manager.

Here is how is done.

Open the Control Panel, then go to System > Device Manager. Navigate to the Mouse Option, right click on it, and click Disable.

There is even an option to disable the touchpad only if an external mouse is attached.

Uncheck the below option in Windows settings.

Image result for how to disable touchpad when an external mouse is connected from windows

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

touchpad.PNG

As you can see above, my screen looks nothing like that. And when I did the device manager, right clicking on mouse popped up a window that says... mouse is working properly.

HP Recommended

@SuckerWitch,

Do you see Synaptics touchpad or anything similar in the device manager? You need to right click on the touchpad and click disable and not on the mouse.

If you do not Synaptics touchpad in the device manager then it means that the touchpad driver is not installed on the computer and I recommend you download and install it from the below link.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.