warhammer138
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Disc drive will not accept any discs

HP ENVY 14-2166se Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Its just as the title reads. Everytime i try to put in a dvd or any kind of disc (ie currently rosetta stone) it will not grab the disc and take it in. Ive tried pushing it all the way in, but after a second it will push the disc back out. I am in very deep **bleep** if i am unable to resolve this issue. Help?

2 REPLIES 2
Level 17
Level 17
41,684 41,469 6,567 11,433
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So you put a disk in the tray and it spins a couple times and ejects? And you have tried different discs? And all of them do that? Its a slot load not a tray load, right? This is very likely a hardware issue with the disk drive itself. Unfortunately on your model access to the disk drive is a bit complex. See page 58 here:

Service Manual

DVD±RW and CD-RW Super Multi Double-Layer Combo Drive with LightScribe (includes cable, connector board, and retention rails) 657530-001

The only other thing to try is a cleaner disk. You can get one of those at any store that still sells DVDs. It is possible the laser is just dirty but that is not real likely. 

Also if you have a bootable DVD like a Windows disk or an HP recovery disk, try that from before Windows loads so we can isolate hardware from software issues. If it can boot from a bootable DVD then it must be a Windows issue. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Highlighted
warhammer138
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is a slot load, yes, though I wouldn't even say that the disc spins. The computer just spits it right back out. The disc I put in is also brand new and I have tried this with quite a few others as well, so I am doubtful it's the cd/dvds fault. Unfortunately, I lost the initial hp recovery disc years ago, but I could pick up another if you believe that might help. If not, what are my options?
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation