Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello There ..

I recently ran 'disk sanitizer' on my laptop. Up until running this program, everything worked fine. Now--it appears everything has been wiped. I cannot boot form windows disk .

Though I have purchased a few in the hopes they would work, none have allowed windows XP to run. The error I get is as follows:

windows set up cannot complete. Hard disk error.

Is it possible the hard disk was damaged after sanitizer had been run? Is there a quick fix (sloution) to this problem?

because i dont think that you guys put a tool like this just to distroy you customers laptops .. am i right ?

so please help me out with this ..

my laptop is HP 530 with this serial number : [edited]

Thanks !

Zeid

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If you don't know what a software is for why use it?

yes you wiped your hard drive of the operating system and all your files.

I doubt it damaged the hard drive, see this article on how to test your hard drive.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/How-to-test-RAM-and-HDD-Hard-Drive/td-p/301638

HP Recommended

I did the same stupid thing. But your HDD is still working.   Just use in another computer ACTIVE BOOT DISK software. Burn it to CD or USB flash and your computer will boot. It will start sth like windows 7 beta but with formating tools. Then you can format your HDD in your computer and last you can install OS.     GOOD LUCK 😄

HP Recommended
HI i done the same thing, i have went to active boot disk and have tried to download it to my USB how ever I am very confused about how to use the soft ware would you kindly explain how you used the software to solve the problem thank you
HP Recommended

i tried using ACTIVE BOOT DISK using USB but after my machine boot it needs me to enter Full Shell Command Line.

What can i do?

HP Recommended
Which option is best to use amongst Disk Sanitizer options (1) Fast (2) Optimum (3) Custom
HP Recommended

I too did the disk sanitizer as I was about to sell my hp 2120 mini.

Everything clean up. IMy computer said non disk error.

I tried creating a USB boot up but darn if I could figure out *.iso. Too much work, too complicated, need a second computer, etc.

Solution:

I had bought a USB 2.0 ide/sata cable kit for transfering some old hardrives onto a new computer 2 years ago ($16.00 CDN).

I hooked this up to netbook and an an old cdrom player I had laying around from an old computer;

inserted windows 7 dvd rom into player;

pressed f9 when starting up netbook;

35 minutes later, my netbook was back with my old registered windows 7 os.

of course I had to start installing all my old programs.

Now I can sell it with no worries.

HP Recommended
Hey I got the same problem as u, I'm asking that you did get a solution to fix your laptop please help
HP Recommended

Th question for HP is why is the program pushed to the user in a software update without explanation? It should not even be installed.  I frequently run the suggested updates but was disappointed with my computers performance after this and other updates were installed so I removed them.  

HP Recommended
I've now that problem with my computer please if you have solved such problem detail for how to solve it, cause i am not good ib ict but if you detail steps i can adapt myself. Thank a lot!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.