Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15 ac179tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to upgrade my laptop

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No M.2 slot.

Service Manual 

There is a 2.5 inch SATA bay and you could place a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in there instead of the hard drive and you could move the hard drive to a DVD caddy/adapter. That would be your best upgrade; to run the OS from a solid state drive. The upgrade in performance from a SATA 2.5 inch SSD over a mechnical hard drive is not to be sneezed at. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I am trying to do something. Can I put SSD in SATA III(HDD port) and HDD in Optical Drive port. What will happen in worst scenario. I heard people of freezing laptops when they put HDD in optical drive using caddy. 

I'm thinking of buying a caddy but if it will not work perfectly then my money will be wasted.

I heard you on other threads about these problems.  Can you suggest something else about this.

HP Recommended

You can definitely put a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the 2.5 inch SATA bay where the hard drive is now. Generally, DVD (optical) adapters work OK but there are just so many of them out there made in who knows what shop who knows where. So yes there are issues from time to time and usually a drive in such an adapter cannot be bootable and often the optical bay SATA port is SATA II or even SATA  I so performance takes a hit. So I am not a big fan of those adapters but there are a lot of them out there working for a lot of people. 

HP Recommended

I just installed ssd in SATA III port and updated my bios to insyde 29. From there I see the issues of screen flickering and going completely black. Restarting solves the problem temporarily. 

Do I need to install display drivers or it was installed during the Windows 10 update...?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.