Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 15-ep0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have an HP and would like to purchase a docking station. 
Apparently only the travel docking station for HP Spectre is compatible ...
I'm looking for a docking station to install 2 Displayport screens, usb 3, usb-c, thunderbolt etc...
and with an adapter to recharge the notbook at the same time.
Does anyone have any idea or proposal for a compatible model?
Thank you and best regards
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Fouvolant,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Assuming you were referring to the HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0700nz, a recommended HP Thunderbolt dock that is listed as compatible, according to this model's specsheet, is the HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W with HDMI Adapter 6HP48AA. It has two Displayport connection ports as well as other useful ports.

However, I do want to mention two important things:

1. Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be a universal standard with no barriers. Therefore, the Thunderbolt 3 dock does not need to be HP branded and you can find yourself one on Amazon or from other reputable brands. These are theoretically compatible but I recommend purchasing one that is well-reviewed.
  2. The PowerDelivery Alternate Mode over USB-C supports a maximum of 100W while your device requires 200W. Therefore, you will most likely need to plug in your original AC adapter while using a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @Fouvolant,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Assuming you were referring to the HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0700nz, a recommended HP Thunderbolt dock that is listed as compatible, according to this model's specsheet, is the HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W with HDMI Adapter 6HP48AA. It has two Displayport connection ports as well as other useful ports.

However, I do want to mention two important things:

1. Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be a universal standard with no barriers. Therefore, the Thunderbolt 3 dock does not need to be HP branded and you can find yourself one on Amazon or from other reputable brands. These are theoretically compatible but I recommend purchasing one that is well-reviewed.
  2. The PowerDelivery Alternate Mode over USB-C supports a maximum of 100W while your device requires 200W. Therefore, you will most likely need to plug in your original AC adapter while using a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended
Thank’s Eddy,

The same docking station but 230W (3TR87AA) with combo cable isn’t possible to use with the same AC Adapter of docking station.
It seems to me that mechanically there is only a double socket for only probook and elitebook but cannot be independent 1xusb-c 1x power. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.

Best Regards.
HP Recommended

Yeah, so my understanding is that that docking station is quite unique since it allows a user with a compatible business laptop or workstation to charge 200+ Watts of power through a combo cable which combines the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 cable and a separate power-in connector, as seen below:

EddyK_0-1602918392496.png

You can actually use it with a single USB-C connector, as shown below, but unfortunately, it will only provide up to 100W of power.

EddyK_1-1602918475027.png

Even if the power-in connector of the combo jack was somehow compatible with your laptop's barrel jack, it wouldn't fit due to the distance between the Thunderbolt 3 ports and the charger port.

I should stress that you do not have to purchase an HP-branded Thunderbolt 3 dock and that it's theoretically impossible to charge your device through the Thunderbolt 3 port. If the laptop didn't require upwards of 100W, I doubt that HP would've included the barrel charging port instead of just decreasing clutter and simply sticking with USB-C PD. Hope that makes sense. 

HP Recommended

I found this cable which can perhaps solve the problem of location of the connectors for this docking station, but indeed, it is strange that HP does not offer or does not highlight this ...

F5DDB66C-E001-48A4-93FA-D4D9074EC7DD.jpeg

Thunderbolt G2 230 docking stations are available with combo cable or without cable, it is not clear if the combo cable of docking station allow the cable to be easily replaced by one that can be separated magnetically.

Yes indeed I can take a docking station other than HP and can not charge via the thunderbolt port, and I find it unfortunate and not useful to have a docking station for office and have to use the ac adapter in addition , it is not very logical for me to have 2 adapters 🙂

Thank you very much for your help

Best Regards.

Pablo

HP Recommended

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=3TR87AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC 

HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 with Combo Cable for ZBook (230w) but not specified for HP Envy 15 ep0xxx in HP Store...?

I found this cable which can perhaps solve the problem of location of the connectors for this docking station, but indeed, it is strange that HP does not offer or does not highlight this ... Thunderbolt G2 230 docking stations are available with combo cable or without cable, it is not clear if the combo cable stations allow the cable to be easily replaced by one that can be separated magnetically.
Yes indeed I can take a docking station other than hp and can not charge via the thunderbolt port, and I find it unfortunate and not useful to have a docking station for office and have to use the ac adapter in addition , it is not very logical for me to have 2 adapters 🙂

Thank you very much for your help

Best Reagrds,

Pablo

HP Recommended

I understand that there is a detached USB-C cable and barrel connector cable available but the dock is only listed as being compatible with select business notebook PCs and workstations. This is because HP power supplies for notebook PCs don't all use the same size/type of barrel connectors. 

HP Recommended
It’s not very smart from HP ^^
I am disappointed to have chosen this notebook without checking this. 
I will therefore look to buy a normal replicator other than HP and use my original ac adapter as you suggested. 
Thank’s for your information and help.

Best Regards

HP Recommended
it’s the same power supply specification, so it's just the connector type ...
Isn’t there an adapter for the correct round plug?
Or so HP use different models incompatible with each other ? Very strange situation

HP Recommended

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why you would think that the accessories and docking stations that HP produces would be compatible with all their devices, which is literally in the tens of thousands. The 3TR87AA came out in 2018 and it was directed specifically towards business devices while the HP ENVY Laptop - 15-ep0700nz was released in 2020 for the consumer audience. 

The fact is, Thunderbolt 3 only provides up to 100W of PD and so there is no alternative. Tons of gaming laptops and workstations need to be charged separately through an AC adapter - and this goes for all types of PC brands. The 3TR87AA is a somewhat unusual solution and it still relies on a separate AC adapter.

If you really believe that you can make it work, then please do go ahead; I'm simply providing advice. Note that there isn't information on the specifications of the type/size of the barrel connector, and even if you could get an adapter, you would have to obtain one from a third party.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.