Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 15-ab270sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I bought a docking station, HP USB-C Universal Docking Station, with the hope of extended my laptop display onto a further two monitors. I have the right cables, the right drivers installed but for some reason it isn't working. I have tried extending the laptop display etc but to no avail.

The screen is coloured fuzziness (not sure how else to describe it).

I would even be open to having my laptop closed and using the two monitors rather than what I currently want (the laptop plus two additional monitor displays).

Can anyone offer any advise as to how I can get this working?

Thanks in advance,

Niv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

250 G6 has no USB-C just USB 3.0 form factor. So the dock I linked from amazon.com would work. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Please give the exact product number of the docking station. The USB-C universal HP dock I have found has a limited compatibility list and no Pavilions are included. And does your laptop even have a USB-C port? Specs seem to say no. 

HP Recommended

Product Number of the HP Docking Station is: HSA-B005DS

I only came across the laptop list after I had purchased, annoyingly. I took universal a bit too literally.

There is a USB-C -> USB adapter that comes with the docking station which is how I have plugged it into the laptop.

If this isn’t a suitable docking station, can you please provide a suitable alternative?

HP Recommended

I kind of figured. The USB-C to USB adapter will provide limited functionality for the dock. The audio and likely the ethernet works but this dock is designed to use alt-DP video signal that can only come from a full-featured USB-C port on the laptop. 

So you need a USB 3.0 dock with DisplayLink technology that will convert USB to video. It has nowhere near the bandwidth of an alt-DP signal and if you try to drive 2 high res displays over it you are likely to get some blurring and stuttering. The laptop is only able to put out so much video signal and you are spreading it mighty thin with the laptop screen plus 2 more FHD screens and forget about 4K. 

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Monitor-Horizontal-Docking-Ethernet/dp/B07BFKRQSC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I haven't order the product you listed just there...

I have been given another HP laptop by my company which has the following model number: HP-3168NGW

Would the docking station you listed would also work with this?

Regards,

Niv

HP Recommended

That's not the model number that is the kind of Wi-Fi card it has. Look for another number on the ID plate. 

HP Recommended

Apologies - I think the model number is HP 250 G6.

Please let me know. 🙂

HP Recommended

250 G6 has no USB-C just USB 3.0 form factor. So the dock I linked from amazon.com would work. 

HP Recommended

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.