Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 9 (5,875 Views)

Docking Stations for the new Spectre X360 Kaby Lake

[ Edited ]
Product Name: Spectre X360 Kaby Lake
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So having a bit of a frustrating experience finding a working dock for the new Spectre X360 (Kaby Lake). I need something with PD (power in), HDMI/DVI or DP out (two ports if fine, one up to 4k), and a few USB ports. I've tried a cheap aukey one and though HDMI works it's buggy.

I'm now looking at this guy P5Q54UT - HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 Dock 65W but not entirely sure if it'll work.

A few pluggable docks specifically mention that HP is not supported or claim HP doesn't support alt-mode (for USB C) and PD 2.0 spec.

Any guidance is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 9 (5,762 Views)

Re: Docking Stations for the new Spectre X360 Kaby Lake

From my understanding, as of now HP disables certain features of Thunderbolt 3. Look up the forum on the Spectre working with the Razer Core external GPU. As of now, there aren't really any Thunderbolt 3 Docks out. Belkin is about to release one, they just posted it on there website, but its listed as coming soon. I have the same laptop, and will be returning it due to HP disabling some of the features of Thunderbolt 3 like using an external GPU and possibly an external dock. Maybe I will buy it again if they ever upgrade the bios to support thunderbolt 3 natively as it should. HP has left a sour taste in my mouth for what otherwise is an excellent product.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (5,696 Views)

I've just purchased the new X360 as well and have the same question. 

I'm wondering if in fact the Plugable USB-C dock will work with this new machine. This review specifically mentions the x360 and seems to suggest the Plugable dock works with it. I'm considering purchasing it and finding out for myself. 

But if anyone has found anything else that definitely works, that'd be great to know. 

Tutor
Message 4 of 9 (5,690 Views)

I was told that that the pluggable docks do work with the kaby Lake version. I did not get one as they don't support 4k at 60hz
Top Student
Message 5 of 9 (5,641 Views)

Yep - I'm returning mine because it doesn't support thunderbolt 3 fully.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 9 (5,574 Views)

I've been doing some more reading, and it looks like we might be in luck! Seems as if the new Spectre X360 Kaby Lake does support external GPU's and should support external docks. It's just that the current gen 1 docks are having issues. The new Belkin Dock, OWC Dock and Pluggable Docks that will be coming out should work, but will probably require a firmware update to get everything tuned in correctly. Here's a link on the eGPU

https://m.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/587xju/my_experience_with_the_razer_core_spectre_x360/

Tutor
Message 7 of 9 (5,208 Views)

I can confirm the Plugable Docking Station (USB-C Docking Station w/PD) works 100% with the Kaby Lake Spectre x360.  The one I got was like $129 or something on Amazon.  There is a more expensive one @$179 that does dual display if you want that.  1st unit I received didn't work well (kept on disconnecting/reconnecting) but the replacement unit works perfectly.  The customer support is amazing too.  When you plug in, you get the prompt to genuine HP power supply notification initially but once you close the prompt, it's all good after.  I loaded up the dock with various accessories and works well.  I only use 1080P monitor so can't attest to the 4K performance.

I also tried 2 other smaller hubs with pass through PD and they work too.   Mokin and HooToo.  But, plugable is the most versatile and a true Dock of the bunch I tried. 

The only issue I have is more have to do with HP than anything.  I use my laptop on desktop mode mostly, external monitor, keyboard/mouse, with the lid closed.  But, when x360 goes to sleep, I cannot wake the laptop using the mouse/keyboard or pressing the sleep/power button.  I have to open the lid to wake up the machine.  HP giving me conflicing answers on this.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 9 (3,791 Views)

I bought the HP Zbook Elite 150W dock, and this works with my new 13in Kaby Lake X360 (13-ac001na). Charges over the USB cable, and outputs to a 3440x1440 display over DisplayPort (1.1)

Intern
Message 9 of 9 (3,435 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the Spectre X360 13-W0xxx laptop.

I was using the Plugable ud-ultcdl.  It seemed to work fine, except it didn't support 4k@60hz, only at 30hz.

I ended up getting the HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 65w docking station.  Works great through displayport.

http://www8.hp.com/emea_middle_east/en/products/oas/product-detail.html?oid=9822180

I have a 43" 4k@60hz monitor hooked up over displayport, Audio, ethernet, usb wireless keyboardmouse.  It is charging my Spectre also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation