Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp Laptop 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought product number 20J12UA.  It is a 14” laptop.  I have a Dell docking station with a USB C connector.  I’m unable to get this to work.  How can I tell what kind of docking station I need?  The laptop USB C port has the standard USB symbol next to it and not the thunderbolt.  I also have 2 USB A ports with the “SS” symbol next to them and also have an HDMI port.

I want to connect to 2 Dell monitors that I already have.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Not familiar with the Dell docking station but your USB-C port is a simple data only port. It is not Thunderbolt and does not support charging the laptop and does not carry a video signal on it as some USB-C type ports do. So to have that port be your connection to 2 external monitors you need a USB dock with something called DisplayLink. It can be either USB-C or use one of your USB A ports or you can use an adapter from the USB-C to a USB A plug. 

Like this but many examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Display-Docking-Station-K33972US/dp/B009F7E730/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dch...

This dock has an HDMI and a DVI not sure what the input is to your 2 monitors so you might have to use an adapter. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.